Why do people tailgate?

If your a tailgater, please tell me why you do it. I was on my way to work today and was following a truck (at a safe distance). The speed limit was 55 but we were going slower because the truck in front of us was going slower. So here comes this car up behind me and he gets so close I can just barely see the top of his headlights. I'm thinking I should hit my brakes so he can buy me a new car! But of course I don't. I'm not that big of a bitch. I was so tempted though!

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 5:53 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• People are impatient and they think if they rid the ass of someone traffic will go faster or they just aren't paying attention. If i didnt have my kids 99% of the time in the car and insurance wouldn't kick my ass I would slam my breaks.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:54 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I have yet to figure this one out...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:55 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I guess they figure they can magically push us out of the way! I've only done that when someone has pulled out in front of me. Once I know I have their attention in the rear-view mirror- I let them read my lips! lol!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:57 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• LOL, when I saw your question I thought you were asking about tailgaiting at football games..LMAO. I don't know why people drive that way...for the football tailgaiters...we're rabid fans
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:57 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• i thought u were talking about footballers too....I was gonna say that i would love to go to a tailgate party....
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 6:05 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• lol. Nope I'm not a football fan.
    SalemWitchChild

Comment by SalemWitchChild (original poster) at 6:11 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Because people are dumb!! they probably think if they tailgate someone, that person will think "Oh this person means business, I better get out of the way!" I usually think "Get off my butt you ass!" then I slow waaaaaayyy down....
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 6:27 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Some people do it for intimidation purposes...to either get you to move out of their way or to get you to speed up.
    Some people just like to be ignorant butt munchers (my teen daughter's phrase).
    I can't stand tailgaters...I will purposely do the speed limit on the dot if someone dares to ride my bumper just to tick them off and teach them a lesson. If they honk, give me the finger, or yell their fool heads off at me, I just smile and wave at them like I'm wishing them a good day. :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 1:38 PM on Sep. 25, 2010