Should I put my son in daycare?

My son is 15 months old and he is my only child. I feel bad because he doesn't get interaction with other chidren very often (when he does he gets so happy) I am at home with him all day because I work nights but should I put him in daycare a day or two a week just so he can get that interaction? I'm scared because I've heard so many horror stories about children getting beat/ sitting in poopy diapers all day... any advice would be greatly appriciated!

June_Mama09

Asked by June_Mama09 at 5:58 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We have a parents as teachers in my area and they schedule play dates. Maybe you could check with your school district and see if they offer something like that? That way you'll still be with your child and he'll still have a chance to play with other kids his own age.
    Sue41

Answer by Sue41 at 6:00 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Play dates! Nannys especially love play dates so they can get the kids out of the house and go to a park or something fun!
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 6:02 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Well, my son has been in daycare since he was about 6 months old, and he LOVES it! My daycare provider is operating out of her home, and she only takes a limited number of kids. She's also a retired pediatric nurse. My son loves her, he calls her "grandma". I don't think I'd want him to be in one of those big daycare places, but this one works perfectly for us :)
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:05 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Look for play dates.
    Some churches have Mothes Day Out for a couple of hours a couple times a week.
    Make friends with women who have children close in age.
    Put him in nursery during church. Go to both the Sunday and the Wednesday service.
    I most certainly would not put him in a daycare if you do not need to. There are so may other opportunities for socialization.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:52 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• "get interaction with other chidren very often (when he does he gets so happy)"

Even playing with other kids full time in day care doesn't take away that kind of reaction. DD plays with 2-4 other kids a day care 5 days a week, and she still LIGHTS UP and gets all kinds of excited to play with other kids at the park. Little kids just REALLY like other little kids.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 7:01 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• What about a Mother's Morning Out or MOPS program? Those are a few days a week for only a few hours and cost MUCH less.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:23 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Find a local play group or go to the park.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 7:44 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• what about a mom's group? i joined one on meetup.com and it's been huge for my son. i also go to the gym daily and he is in their daycare for an hour and a half..just enough time to socialize and get used to separation but not too much...
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 9:58 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• i would say find a in home one. my daughter has been in daycare since she was 12 weeks old. the place she goes is in home. only a few kids and very clean and the owner was a preschool teacher in the past and her daughter works there too. i would say check out some area daycare or even playgroups. we have a library here that has alot of different activites for children. just a little creativity and you will find what works for you. good luck!
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 7:54 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• you have to do your research on daycares!!
    My daughters daycare changes her diaper every 2 hours whether she has done anything or not
    its very clean and organized
    and I get an entire paper of everything that happened each day
    I can call anytime or come by anytime to see her
    its amazing
    I love it
    You just have to do a lot of research and find a daycare right for you and your son

My best friend didnt do research and her sons first day at daycare he came home with a dislocated toe and a big bite mark on his forehead
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 4:53 PM on Sep. 25, 2010