Why the Pacifier?!!!! AHHHH!!! I feel terrible!

My DD is 26 months old. She was never really attatched to the paci. She only ever wanted it and needed it for sleeping/napping. We recently have tried taking this bitter- sweet comfort from her. ( She threw it away on her own. ) Went okay, but the more days without it, the more upset she got. Especially nap time! We tried everything, all the tricks. She has always been very well-behaved and even tempered, never throws fits. Seriously. but now a week later and She has become very frantic about it. We cant even get her to stay on her bed, she screams and crys and runs to her door and starts hitting and slamming herself against it. we go in and try to soothe her but it leads to her clinging to us like theres no tomarrow. HELP, i feel awful about it! What do I do, I dont like seeing her this way, its really upsetting. What should I do? what have you done?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in General Parenting

• have you tried a bottle at night? if you give her water at night it won't hurt her teeth and it will sooth her, that's probably all she needs, if not just give her the binky and she'll grow out of it where she won't pitch a fit.
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 11:08 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I know that some people are probably going to judge me for this but my 3 year old dd still has hers. She only gets it at bedtime or at nap. I had tried everything and that is the one thing that really sooths her. I don't think it is that bad because when she falls asleep it isn't in her mouth anymore. I just think all kids are different, my 4 year old got rid of hers on her own at 3 1/2 and had no problem with it.
    Another thing that I read somewhere was to go to build a bear and have her pick out a stuffed animal and they can actually stuff the bear with the paci and then she would have the bear to sleep with at night instead of the paci being in her mouth her bear would have it.
    Good Luck
    mommygirls2

Answer by mommygirls2 at 11:14 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• You will get through this.
    Giving the paci back will only make this 100% harder the next time around. Stick it out, and you will be glad you did. You are not hurting her in any way. She is working out a new way to soothe herself to sleep. It is not an easy thing to do. She will replace the need for a bink with something else, so just be careful what that thing is. If you lay with her to get her to sleep, that will be her new thing. Give her a special fleece blanket. Let her pick it out. That way, when she gets older you can wean her from it by cutting it in half, and again, and again, and so on until it is about a 4x4 square.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 11:33 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• give the poor child her paci back. She's just not ready to give it up yet.
    Anonymous

• if its just nap time and bed time its okay to give it back my son is 22 months and still has his full time
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 6:46 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I took my daughters away at 26 months too and I knew she was too old for it, but at the same time it was her only comfort item...she doesn't have blankies, stuffed animals, or dolls that she's particularly attached to and broke from the bottle early. It was HARD!!!! She was doing the same thing...getting more and more worked up as the days went on. It took a couple weeks, but she stopped asking for it. You're just going to have to muscle through it, and believe me, it isn't easy. Now that I'm having a new baby and she sees pacifiers back in the house, I can finally get her to associate pacis with babies...she will even say "These bippies are for the new baby...she needs them".
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:19 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Just wait it out. It will get better. My youngest was still taking hers at naptime and bedtime at that age and finally we told her it was time for them to go, that she was a big girl. She was very attached and for 2-3 weeks it was hell. She screamed every night for what seemed like forever and would wake up several times a night crying for it. Finally, just when I was ready to crack she had a good night when she didn't even notice it was gone. Then another good night and a week or so later she had forgotten all about it. It was rough but if you give in it will be harder to break her. And it is always harder to break an older child...they get more stubborn the older they get.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:53 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Keep in mind the paci could just be a conidience. SHe could be having bad dreams and not want to go to sleep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Do NOT give it back now that you have come this far. This will pass. Do NOT give her a bottle at 26 months. This is common and it wil pass. It will be rough for awhile but you will get there.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:41 PM on Oct. 22, 2008