Need info about adoption.

I'm working on a novel and need some information on adoption. The story is set in Alabama. A young girl gives birth to a son who was the product of rape. The young girl dies during child birth so here is my question. I want her OB who has taken care of her the whole pregnancy to be able to adopt the child. The young girl expressess this interest as well but how would i go about writing this out. i dont know the laws or if its possible to choose the child you want to adopt in a manner like this. Can you help me?

LadyOsgood

Asked by LadyOsgood at 6:16 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Adoption

• I'd check the laws for the state in which it's occurring. Unless somethings in writing, I suspect the child would go into foster care while the state tried to find a relative (obviously it would be the girl's family in this case). If that didn't happen, an adoptive family would be found. You might go down the line of the OB requesting to foster the child and see how that might work in the state. If you want to simplify things, you might be able to simply have the OB request to foster the child while the search for family is found, have the search be unsuccessful, then the OB could apply to adopt.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 11:15 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• each state has different laws...so hard to say but if the girl had expressed this in written form there is a good chance of this happening...
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 9:22 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Check out AL laws
    TALuke

Answer by TALuke at 9:00 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My Grandfather adopted my mother and he was her birthmother's OB/GYN. This was in Pennsylvania and many years ago 1940. I am sure things have changed since then or maybe not ??????
    ramajil

Answer by ramajil at 11:18 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• It is hard to say. Because depending on other family member you might have to put up a big fight.
    lilma0608

Answer by lilma0608 at 4:45 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• see what al laws say gl on your book
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:25 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• if she writes a will he could have coustody. then patition the court to adopt. most states would allow this as long as there was no known parent wanting to take the baby. would have to be mom or dad. otherwise she has the right to give anyone the right to be legal caregiver if expressed in a will made by a lawyer. please let me know when you finish your book. it sounds like something i would love to read. also when my sister in law adopted from me i signed a power of attorney then she patitioned the court for adoption that was it tn. and it worked.
    sttawardnas

Answer by sttawardnas at 8:26 AM on Nov. 11, 2010