Hair help please??!!

I am 33 years old, and I have dyed my hair for years. I decided to let it grow out to natural color but then discovered AAAAHHH I have many grays under there LOL!!! My hair is VERY dry, doesnt grow well or very fast, and falls out or breaks very very much, (probably from medications)! What can I do to get my hair healthier, I absolutely cannot stop dying it, I dont want gray hair at my age, but I cant stand straw like ungrowing falling out hair either. I use suave shampoo and conditioner (did learn pantene makes it worse). Any Suggestions?

MeGirl04049

Asked by MeGirl04049 at 6:28 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• My hair falls out a lot too and I color mine every 5 weeks or so. I can't afford to go to the salon, so I use L'Oreal Excellence Cream color and it conditions your hair really well. I can't use Suave products, they don't do well on my hair, but I just bought a leave in conditioner Nexxus Humectress Luxe Ultimate Moisturizing leave in conditioner (from WalMart) and someone on here recommended bain de terre recovery complex anti frizz silky shine serum and I ordered that from buy.com and I love both of them. My hair feels a lot more conditioned and healthy. You might also try a good complex (multi) vitamin or even if you're not pregnant, try prenatal vitamins, they make your hair and nails really strong and healthy. Good luck!!
    KimPippin

Answer by KimPippin at 6:44 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Dry hair that falls out alot can be a sympton of a thyroid problem. I would take this question to your doctor. good luck!
    minivanmomma67

Answer by minivanmomma67 at 7:19 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• You need to find a new shampoo and conditioner that works for your individual hair type. You need to read the bottles and match up what the specific shampoos and conditioners treat, since there are many types out there with different formulas like for long hair, or very dry hair, etc. I have switched shampoos and conditioners a couple of times to find ones that actually benefited my hair.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 8:21 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Try taking "Hair, Skin and Nails" vitamins or go to your local natural food/vitamin store and get some Horsetail. After I had my gastric bypass I started losing hair and the texture started to change in a bd way. I took the advice from someone (that I am now passing on to you) and this all stopped. I have been coloring my hair for 1/2 of my 36 years of life. :)
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 9:27 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Not sure if I agree about the horsetail. I used it and know several other people who did as well. My hair became very thin and terrible looking.
    PmhTaylor

Answer by PmhTaylor at 5:26 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• STOP COLORING IT YOURSELF!!!

when you color it yourself you typically go over the hair that's already colors, are probably using box which has a high volume developer than needed and are DEFINITELY over processing your hair.

A stylist can color the hair that needs coloring with a lower volume developer that will still give gray coverage without all that extra damage. Plus give ti a good trim

in between DEFINITELY get some protein treatments in, and use thermal protectant sprays for and thermal styling (blow drying, curling, straightening, etc).

Use a good shampoo and conditioner with ingredients like protein or keratin..

and eat healthy. Healthy body makes healthy hair. Try vitamins with biotin in them as well.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:45 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• use infusium 23 shampoo, conditioner and leave on treatment
    canta1980

Answer by canta1980 at 3:05 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• thanks girls for all your answers. I do have hypothyroidism for whoever mentioned that. But I never thought to associate my hair issues getting worse with that. I will mention this to my doctor.
    I think Im going shampoo and conditioner shopping.
    OH, most of the time my friend (owns her own salon) does my hair, But in between or moneys low I do it myself. I have asked her advice but she just tries to sell me her products LOL.
    MeGirl04049

Comment by MeGirl04049 (original poster) at 1:33 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Go to a stylist
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 2:34 PM on Oct. 5, 2010