Is Senna Stool Softner Good and does it cause cramps?

I heard about Senna Stool Softner, and that is really really good, because I've been constipated for like almost a week. (5 days) and for the past month been having issues with Diahreah. I think I might have Irritable Bowl Syndrome, and might go to the doctor if I dont go to the bathroom in the next couple days. I'm not uncomfortable yet, and I dont have the urge to go, which is worrying me. Well, I wanted to know if Senna hurts your stomach because that is something I can't handle well! lol. I heard it doesn't and most stool softners dont its the laxatives that hurt. But can somone tell me there opinion and what is good?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Health

• definitely go with a stool softener and not a laxative. also make sure the box says stimulant free. I'm not familiar with that brand... but I detest laxatives!
    Anonymous

• Good, Imma look into some more, but I really think its IBS. Which sucks. I've tried to change me diet, but I want to start taking Fiber supplements and multivitamins, and start excersizing. Imma see if that helps. But im gonna give myself 4 more days to have a BM, if not, then I will go to the doc. Anybody know any more good ones?
    Anonymous

• have you tried that activia yogurt? it's yummy and really helps me out. one a day at breakfast :)
    Anonymous

• Senna can cause bowel cramping in some people.

I agree with the anon poster before me.  I have suffered with diarrhea for years and have recently started eating Activia yogurt.  It is the ONLY food that I have found that actually helps.  I eat some every day but it takes about 2 weeks to take effect.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Try eating more fruit...
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 9:04 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Senna is effective for occasional use, but you can get dependent on it, and you don't want that.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:22 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I had to use that by orders of the doc, due to a surgery. It will help you go but I was in so much pain from cramps I would not recommend that product. I have used a tea from the natural food store called Smooth Move, its all natural and works pretty well. The tea doesn't taste bad.
    Jenlos

Answer by Jenlos at 9:23 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Hi,
    I'm new to this group. More about this later. I have IBS and my doctor told me to avoid senna because it is irritating to the bowel. He said that the irritation was how it worked. What to do? I suggest drinking plenty of water, eating dried fruit (but not getting carried away or you will cramp) and also lettuce. Avoid the BRAT diet for now: bananas, rice, applesauce and toast, since it slows the system. Basically, a lot of veggies and fruit and water. (Don't go longer than 7 total days without getting some relief. At that point I got incredibly sick). I hope this helps.
    -nanette(grammytothree)
    grammytothree

Answer by grammytothree at 9:32 AM on Oct. 21, 2008