S/O Should schools and other "children's organizations" (like scouts) talk to children about things like molestation?

Or should it be left up to the parents?

I know the first response from many is "Sex education of any kind should be the parents responsibility and not the school/organizations" but in the majority of cases, it's the parents, grandparents or other close friends & family members who are molesting these children...

How many molesters are going to teach their children it's wrong? Isn't it better to teach it to everyone rather than not teach it to those who need to hear it?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 6:37 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Parents really need to teach this. If you start letting Scouts, Schools, etc teach it...You will end up having a molester that is a Scout leader, teacher, etc. teaching your kids that what they are doing to them is O.K. I know they do sex education in school and I think it is o.k to a point and as a CLASS!! Make sure the kids are separated, boys separated from girls and more than one adult. I think if we are not careful, it will open doors for molesters to come through.
    luvmy4kidsinAL

Answer by luvmy4kidsinAL at 6:42 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I seriously don't see why it needs to be taught in scouts, but maybe that is me not being that informative on the scout thing and what all they may do and offer.
    luvmy4kidsinAL

Answer by luvmy4kidsinAL at 6:43 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I believe that parents and school/org should talk about it.... it is mainly the parents responsibilty but if they hear it from more than one person maybe it will be taken more seriously
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 6:43 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Parents SHOULD teach it but I am glad their are other places for the kids who's parents are not comfortable with the subject to get the information. I always decline the sex ed permission slips find out what was to be covered and do it myself.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:45 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My point is though that the majority of children are NOT being molested by teachers or scout leaders. They are being molested and abused by their parents, grandparents and friends or family... If daddy is molesting his kids, do you really think he's going to teach this? So isn't not teaching it in the schools putting those children in more danger? Not only are they dealing with this at home, but they have no guidance as to how to deal or who to go to because the very people who are supposed to protect them are hurting them. Isn't it better to teach this to every child than to deny those at risk or who are already being abused the knowledge that can save them from it?

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 6:45 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• At my school we talk about" good touch" and "bad touch". We don't get to much into just what is appropriate and what isn't.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 6:46 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• in the majority of cases, it's the parents, grandparents or other close friends & family members who are molesting these children...

Exactly. Not to mention, a lot of parents don't teach their kids about good touch/bad touch, someone has to teach them. The same with Sex Education. Someone has to look out for their wellbeing. And the Scouts are not teaching them about molesting they are compelling the parents to do that. I go to all of my children's activities except for school of course and I ask them every afternoon about their day and if anyone was inappropriate with them. I am paraniod though, my sister was molested at school by a teacher.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:47 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• In no way was I saying outside molestation doesn't happen... We all know it does. But the last statistic I hear was something like 80% of molested children are abused by someone close to home...

I have already covered this stuff with my kids, and will continue to. But IF I didn't, I would still prefer to have my children exposed to this stuff at school or somewhere else, than have a child who was being abused NOT get the education and/or help they needed...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 6:52 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• The school district I grew up in always did an "age appropriate" class on this.
    My scouting troops and church groups always taught saying no to inappropriate touching.
    Also, each of the above always explained telling an adult that was trusted about anything that made a person uncomfortable.

I think it should be taught in any group setting where children regularly come. It doesn't have to be in great detail, but always encouraging children to tell adults they trust about important matters like this is a very important thing to do.

6girlsrock

Answer by 6girlsrock at 6:58 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Here's the thing - Scouts leaders aren't talking with the scouts about molestation and abuse.....the require the PARENT or GUARDIAN to do it! It isn't done by the scout leaders - it is an initiative that started long ago (my boys were in tiger/cub scouts 16 yrs ago) to get the PARENTS to talk to their sons about appropriate touch. The BSA Program on this is GREAT - it is required to get the Bobcat rank/badge and my husband and I did it with all our boys. And we also had the same talk with our daughter. We had the talk far before the school does its inappropriate touch talk which doesn't happen until 5th grade along with the puberty talk and by then it is far too late.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:15 PM on Sep. 24, 2010