If you don't clean with chemicals, what do you eat?

I am not being mean here, but I had several comments on my cleaning question about chemicals being in cleaning products that I wanted to start a new question on FOOD. After all we have MORE recalls on food than cleaning products. How do you go about this. Do you grow your own food? I know my Husband and his friend raised a 2cows and a pig and that meat is amazing. I would LOVE to be able to grow my own veggies and have fresh meat all the time as well, but who has the money or time. I feel there are a lot more health concerns with the processed foods we buy. What advice do you have on this...Again..I am being serious, not trying at all to be mean.

luvmy4kidsinAL

Asked by luvmy4kidsinAL at 6:53 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I agree. And I like your point. It reminds me of a quote I remember:

We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons.
    ~ Alfred E. Newman
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 6:57 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• We have an Earth Fare here which is an organic grocery store...no chemicals. A bit pricey, but in the long run helps save on medical bills (which alot of health problems are due to food additives that are harmful). It is really hard to find cheap healthy food. It was set up this way, sadly.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 6:58 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Oh, just thought of something else, we also have a community garden that we grow all organically. Many people in apartments here unable to have their own plot of land and this is an awesome solution.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 6:59 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Well, this spring my family will be totally off the grid and 100% self sustainable. Until that point we do everything we can to ensure that we eat clean food. It's very difficult, but worth it.

But for the most part, I think people's concern is with what they can readily change, the impacts they can very easily have on their health and their families health. In my experience, most of the people who are concerned with chemicals in their cleaning products do put some effort into finding food that is as close to whole as is available, and even if they don't, there really is a huge difference between aspartame and chlorine bleach.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 7:00 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Lol I clean with chemicals but try not to eat them, when I can help it. Makes a little more sense to me, but hey, that's me. Though I am considering using vinegar as an all-purpose cleaner, I have a HUGE bottle of concentrated Simple Green that will probably last me a couple years.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 7:02 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• This is a hard one... I don't tend to clean with chemicals, mostly because I have had so many reactions to them... And there are certain things I don't buy and other things that I try to go with "healthier" options, but as we speak I have Stoffers dinner in the microwave, so I'm far from strict about it... (of course my lack of oven doesn't help). We don't do substitutes for salt or sugar, rather we use the real thing... And I don't cook in Aluminum or tin foil... But I have a Teflon skillet... So I guess when it comes to food, you could say I "try" but I'm by no means strict about it... I'm slowly getting better - but it's slow progress!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:04 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• It's also worth noting though, that we don't really have options like organic markets or whole foods here unless I drive over an hour... We get a WalMart, a Food Mart and a Giant Eagle - that's it... Although the FoodMart does sell locally grown food, so I get my fresh stuff there.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:06 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Comments about "there's CHEMICALS" in that always just make me assume the person is seriously clueless. What the hell do they think food is MADE of? Sure some of them are better for you to eat than others, but cooking IS chemistry.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 7:24 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I only clean with natural stuff because it's cheaper and easier. Not because I'm some crazy tree-hugger.
    gtwerd

Answer by gtwerd at 7:35 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Okay I see your point after reading it over again. Yes, everything has chemicals. Some cows are even given hormones for producing more milk. However, the chemicals in various cleaning products are less toxic to the human body and environment than others. Some cleaning products are extremely toxic and others are less toxic. It depends upon the ones you use and some people like myself don't want to be using products that are really bad when there are alternatives out there to clean with and do the job just as efficiently.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 8:54 PM on Sep. 24, 2010