Should I be worried?

I got a call from my son's teacher. My son is 5 and has been potty trained since he was 3 and never had an accident, never even wet the bed. Today at school he had an accident. Is this something to be worried about?

nmmama09

Asked by nmmama09 at 6:54 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Accidents are rather common at that age. If this is the first time, I wouldn't sweat it. If he keeps having them, I would want to get to the bottom of it.
    My oldest did that. It was the first month of school and he just was to excited about all the new stuff and didn't go. It hasn't happened since, so it's no big deal.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 7:08 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Maybe he was just involved deeply in something and forgot to go.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 6:55 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• No, nothing to worry about. Just tell him to be sure to tell the teacher when he has to go. Maybe he was to scared to tell her. Check with her about bathroom procedure. Be sure he goes before he goes to school. Do not make a big deal out of it. It was an accident and he is probably embarrassed enought.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:58 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• He could have been nervous about school or too afriad to ask to go. the first time i sent my 5 year old to preschool a year ago he had an accident. good luck!

minivanmomma67

Answer by minivanmomma67 at 7:05 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• no kids will do this from time to time..no if it happ
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 9:36 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• A one time thing isn't much to worry about. Sometimes kids in involved with an activity and just don't think to go to the bathroom. If it happens more then worry about it.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:09 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I'm sure it was just an accident let it go
    fryshannon34

Answer by fryshannon34 at 8:52 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Probably just an accident. I know mine sometimes still waits until the absolute last minute because they just can't stop whatever they are doing!!
    jekrmom

Answer by jekrmom at 9:08 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• nah...not if it was just once. He prob got really involved and opps he HAD to go...lol. Ask the teacher if she offers regular potty reminders...many do at that age just for that reason. If it continues, then look into a little more--he may be over-stressed.
    connorsmom1970

Answer by connorsmom1970 at 10:31 PM on Sep. 25, 2010