How do I get my 2 1/2 year old to give up the bottle?

She won't drink mile out of anything else.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:03 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• At that age, just toss them. Set a date and do a count down and then toss them. She won't go thirsty buy her a cool cup with a straw and make sure to offer a lot of fruit and veggies (for the water) until she gets into it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:04 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Talk to her about it. Get her a sippy cup and tell her this is the date because she is such a big girl. Do not give in!!!
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:06 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• start talking about it 2-3 days before that way you dont stretch it out too long and she knows its coming then one day throw them ALL in the trash so that YOU cant let yourself go back on it either and just deal with a few days of screaming lol it will be HARD but it will work!
    Riosmommy

Answer by Riosmommy at 7:07 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I agree COLD TURKEY
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 7:13 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I took my sons once he turned two and just never gave them back. When he asked for his bottle I just gave him a sippy cup. After about a week he never asked for the bottle again.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 7:20 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• toss it. When she wants milk, give her a sippy. She's throw a fit for a while, but eventually she'll get over it. You're the mom (the one in charge) not her.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 7:43 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Cold turkey. It is too late to gradually wean.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:26 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Sounds like my two year old. Try limiting her milk consumption to just a few bottles per day...that will cut down on the number of bottles she is drinking from. Then, drop the middle bottle. Then the morning bottle. The bottle that will be the hardest to drop will be the bedtime bottle. Don't worry, you're child won't graduate from college with a bottle in her mouth!

Your child may drink significantly less milk when you start weaning the bottles, but that is normal. Make up for the calcium in other foods you feed her.

I should take my own advice...lol!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:28 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Outta sight outta mind! Offer her a cup during the day. Gradually take it away unless u dont mind a screaming toddler then cold turkey. I agree tho... buy her a cool sippy cup and tell her big grls drink out of them.
    olivia3579

Answer by olivia3579 at 8:32 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I'm in the same boat!! I tried all of the "gradual" tricks, like decreasing the milk that is in the bottle, slowing making the nipple hole larger... all just let to him asking for a refill. He just turned 2. He drinks everything else from a sippy! So I'm giving him milk in the sippy more often, and am going to have to just literally throw away the bottles, like the other ladies have suggested! I'm cheering for you! We can do it!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 8:39 PM on Sep. 24, 2010