Have you traveled to Italy? any tips for first timer

sam223

Asked by sam223 at 7:16 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Travel

• Where are you going? I lived there for 3 years.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 7:18 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Be sure to take side trips to the small remote towns. They are amazing.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:18 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Try the ice cream- best I've ever had.

Answer by Bmat at 7:21 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• @ lzsarejman we are in the planning stage now, looking for late May. Is this a good time? We are looking to go into Rome..Are there places you would suggest? Should we rent a car or is there transportation we could use?
    sam223

Comment by sam223 (original poster) at 7:24 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I went to Milan Italy when my husband was deployed to Iraq.. I LOVED IT!! very pretty, and LOTS to see... one thing you should look for are the people that come up to you asking for money.. When I was their I was walking to a church and a group of guys came up to me asking if I wanted to feed the birds,, I of course said no. well the guy grabbed my hand and put dry corn in my hand, then all of a suddon TONS of pedgins came swarming at me getting the corn, it scared me to death.. once the corn was gone the guy demanded 2 Euro.. I told him I didnt want the dam food in the first place, so of course the guys wouldnt leave me alone so I gave him the 2 euro.. so for a heads up, dont take anything from anyone, they can get crazy if you dont pay them, even if yhou didnt ask for it..

Heres a picture of the birds
    AirforceWife654

Answer by AirforceWife654 at 7:25 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Italy is great... get ready to stay up late and eat! the gelato is the ice cream, and it's good for lunch! it is nice and warm there. the peopel are friendly even in Rome i went to Rome, Napoli, and sorrento. there is a good rome zoo. just stroll allll around rome at night but stay sort of with peopel or in the poulated sections or go steadily thru the nighttime streets, the shopping is good, the wine is good, the sights are so beautiful. of course the food is good, try to sample what the locals eat dont just ask for stuff we assume is "italian" in your local joint., also always learn a little italian like please, thank you, good, bongiorno good day/morning, bonne notte good night, stuff liek to grease your wheel and make people smile that you took the time to do this. i was thewre when they had LIRE for money but now i think they have the euro? TAKE the public transportation and trains to other cities or towns and back. enjoy
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 7:26 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• @ airforcewife654 that sounds crazy, thanks for the info..
    sam223

Comment by sam223 (original poster) at 7:27 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• @ silverelf, I actually started learning some of the basic..How safe is the public transportation and does it run better good?
    sam223

Comment by sam223 (original poster) at 7:33 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• We went to Rome a few years ago around Easter time. It was a BLAST!

When we were there we got the metro card (I forget if that's the correct name or not). I forget how much we paid for it but it was in the $20ish range (each) and gave unlimited access to buses, subway, etc. for 3 days, I think. It also gave free admission to 3 museums on their list. I forget what it's called, but there was one museum that was near the university (and near the ruins, north of the Colosseum if I recall correctly) that's the oldest museum (started in the 1600's or something). It was AMAZING!! Almost completely empty too. WAY WAY better than the Vatican.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 7:34 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Ok, I couldn't just leave it at vague, possibly inaccurate information. http://en.museicapitolini.org/ that's the museum. I could spend days there, they had so much AWESOME stuff.

This museum was also really interesting Montemartini Museum

Here's info about the Roma Pass. DEFINITELY worth the $. You can get pretty much anywhere in the city with the metro and buses. It's good for 3 days. We were there for a week, so just bought it twice. On their site they have a list of museums, attractions that the pass is good for (or gives discounts for).
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 7:43 PM on Sep. 24, 2010