Question about career welfare moms? Would you agree or disagree with my research?

OK so I have been researching those that live on public assistance and I have found a discrepancy in what many believe to be "Career Welfare Mom's". In my researching I have found that many who have multiple children while on welfare fall into three categories 1) substance abuse 2) had the children before welfare 3) lack education. I define career by those who have spent more than 5 years on PA. When interviewing those women who have been on the system for more than 5 years the average has only 2 children, however they are usually spaced 15-16 years apart, thus letting them stay on the system for almost 30 years without raising any flags. One woman even took custody of one grandchild from her youngest child to keep her 2 bedroom public housing apartment. She has now been receiving PA for 35 years.

dance45133

Asked by dance45133 at 7:23 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Fits the typical recipient in my region. We have 2nd and 3rd generation on welfare. The kids can't read or do math, but they know exactly where to go and how to fill out the forms for welfare, AFDC, and food stamps. They even know how to mail a letter and never buy a stamp (and the letter be delivered!). They know girls who will "lend" their child so you can claim more children for more money. The girls get a fee for that service. Teachers at my school call it "rent a baby". I know this because they openly talk about it at school. I read it in the notes they drop on the floor. If you turn in the fraud, nothing is done. It is accepted as "one of those things that happens" in a government program. Yeah, I believe your research.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:08 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• How many are in your research? Is it limited to a certain area? What method was used in gathering the information? How did you verify your statistics? Was it a blind study?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:27 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• She is talking about people that create a life off of welfare, not people that use it temporarily.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 7:43 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Kind of hard to disagree or agree on a research without having all the data...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:35 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• i think people that have been on pa for so long dont know how to get by without it. my brother in law was on it for years. he then got a very good job and his pa got cut off. my brother in aw paniced and was saying to me, how am i going to get my bills paid? he couldnt image getting things paid without the pa. i said to him, you will get them paid like evryone else. sometime they will be late, some you might get a shut off notice, sometimes you will get things turned off. i was on pa when i was pregnant with my first cuz i wasnt married and didnt have insurance. but i after she was born i had finshed school and got off the pa. i got my own insurance and paid for out of my own pocket.
    jamiethornton26

Answer by jamiethornton26 at 7:36 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Wow! That is interesting.. it figures tho most the people that have section 8 drive loaded out cars with big rims, go on big vacations to like the bahamas (I know one for fact lives on pa there recently) and then they ask their family for money constantly too....

There are only a few people who actually need it that have it. BUT these scammers use the PA to live causing many ppl who truly need it to get denied... How far is that?

IMO
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 7:38 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I have a friend that has 3 children by 3 differnt men. The last one she isnt married too. She has been on FS and getting help with her rent for 10 years now. TEN!!! That's a LITTLE insane!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 8:04 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My mother is fifty six and has been on welfare for eighteen years.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:24 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

***********************************

Why is that insane?? Section 8 and food stamps have no time restrictions (that I know of).
    _____
    because at ten years, that's not a hand up, that's just a way of life.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:48 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Here is a point that people miss...just because you qualify doesnt mean you need it. WE qualified for WIC for my two oldest almost too the point that they were 5. I stopped getting it when they were 2 and 3 because we didnt NEED it. We qualified for FS after I got off them too. We got a ahead and fell back for a little time. But as long as we were on FS what seemed like getting ahead it really wasnt and as soon as we started to FINALLY get ahead the FS were yanked and we were suddenly drowning. So we didnt get on them again. I hear a LOT of entitlement in these answers and THAT is really sad.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 12:21 AM on Sep. 25, 2010