Do you have alot of stuff???? What would you do? There should be an "I'M TICKED" category on CM!

Is it true that the clutter in your house messes with your psyche? I feel overwhelmed sometimes and heavy, physically. I am frustrated because it is not just too much stuff, it is things in our house that are broke and just sitting around or something major needs repair. My SO pretends it does not exist. We do not have extra money, I promise. I know I can dump unwanted stuff at Goodwill or give it away.

Thanks! It just feels better getting it all out on CM! Any adice or kind words I will extrememly appreciate.

2tinyhineys

Asked by 2tinyhineys at 7:24 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I have been there, and was so overwhelmed, but, I just started in one place and worked my way through and was determined that I was going to get it done. It worked, I got it done, had a wonderful peaceful feeling, than I had a nice cold beer.....GL hon

zbee

Answer by zbee at 9:38 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I think it does...how much calmer are you st a hotel where everything is in it's place evry night when you return or when you finally get done cleaning up your house...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:28 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Try Flylady.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:30 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I am cluttered too, and have been my whole life. I still am but I have been making TINY steps here and there, and it's amazing how much better I feel. It's not easy to get started - it took having a baby AND buying a nice new house to get me motivated to make a change. Flylady helped me a lot - I don't really use any of the routines, but I got the emails for a long time and hearing encouragement and reminders to throw stuff out and get things clean really helped me. If you want a buddy to help stay on track, write me privately. I usually have goals for each day or week and it would be nice to have someone to keep in contact with to stay accountable.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 8:05 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• clutter creates anxiety in some people, de clutter it, instead of talking about doing it, do it!

Answer by older at 7:36 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I'm a Professional Organizer. I can tell you that my clients who feel "overwhelmed" and "drowning in stuff" when we begin are completely different in the end. Those claustrophobic feelings are replaced with "peace" and "feeling lighter". Your space definitely has an effect on your brain.
    MamaOfB

Answer by MamaOfB at 7:40 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I am the sell,toss, donate queen!! I HATE clutter, and can't wait to get rid of things the kids have outgrown, don;t use/play with anymore, or are broken, outdated, or just plain ugly!!

Start small, working one room at a time, make keep, toss, donate and sell piles.

I think extensive clutter negatively affect your psyche. I find it depressing to come home to or wake up to a mess! So I don't go to bed until the main floor is clean and organized--not that it stays that way, but I try!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:42 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Yes I think the more clutter we have the more we feel out of control in our lives. Try going room to room 1 day at a time don't do it all at once and really look at your stuff is it sentimental? have a real purpose do I really need this. clean out your closets and get rid of stuff, donate it , cupboards whatever need be take a picture if it's not really important. I have things that I never use and don't want to just take a picture because my grandparenst will never give me anything ever again or my inlaws the less mess the less you are stressed
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 11:25 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I don't care for clutter, and yes, I think it does affect you mentally... What I usually do is, at least once a year, I go through ALL our clothes and donate whatever we haven't worn for a year, or that doesn't fit anymore, etc. Then I get rid of everything I don't need as far as furniture, books, etc.

It feels very liberating to get rid of a truck load of stuff. If we have something sitting around that "needs to be fixed", and it hasn't been fixed in 2 months, it gets thrown out.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:27 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• yes....the stuff that sits around for a couple months, thats broken...goes and i dont tell anyone about it but if it NEEDS to be replaced, ill find one just like it at a garage sale or something and then replace it so no one crys over it.

and yes it would drive me nuts too seeing just stuff that something can be done with.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 7:33 PM on Sep. 24, 2010