Are you going to be getting your dog a flu shot?!

I just saw on the news that they now have flu shots for dogs! I know I'm going to get boo'd by animals lovers, but when I grew up, a dog was a dog. We didn't take them to the doctor every six months for shots and check-ups and we didn't get them flu shots. I love my animals, but they're not my kids....they're just dogs and cats. :/

carol2m2

Asked by carol2m2 at 7:39 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Pets

• Not cats just dogs it was originally an equine flu but it has mutated. Originally it spread form horses to dogs but has recently began to spread from dog to dog at an amazing rate. A few boarding facilities near us last year had to shut down and treat all their boarders because of a and out break. One died. I understand it isn't in everyone's budget to do all vaccines for their pets but rabies is the most important and in some states law parvo, Kennel cough(bordetella) and flu are the other big ones if your dog is EVER around other dogs There are low cost clinics that do shots for almost nothing and any vet will break the shots up into several visits to make it more doable. CDC LINK

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:48 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• No, I feel the same as you and will not get my dogs a flu shot.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 7:44 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• are you serious??? What are they going to come out with next. I didn't even know dogs can get the flu.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 7:46 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I dont even give myself or my child a flu shot so there is no way on this green earth that my dogs are getting a flu shot. Buying dog food is expensive enough.
    aydensmommy0406

Answer by aydensmommy0406 at 7:54 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• heck no! he's at least 150 lbs of pure lab...plus when he's on his back legs, he's almost 7 feet tall! my oldest is the meanest little thing, she's part fox! dont ask......and my youngest is half jack russell, half chiuahuah with a major attitude and biting problem, now, you tell me who wants to tell those three that they're getting shots????!!!!!!???? heck, i'm afraid to tell them that the baby IS going to stay, whether or not they like it....
    shaysmommy5810

Answer by shaysmommy5810 at 8:28 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I don't have a dog but I do have a kitten and I am not getting her a flu shot. She will be declawed and spade in a couple of months.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:41 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I don't think I have ever heard of a dog getting the flu. I have felt sick as a dog but that was different.
    adakbride

Answer by adakbride at 7:45 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I wasn't aware that dogs got the flu...so no.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 7:45 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• No. I think pets get enough vaccines as it is.
    countjb

Answer by countjb at 7:46 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Wow, that's just ridiculous!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:00 PM on Sep. 24, 2010