Is it right to "spread the wealth around"

I have been really surprised with the amount of women who claim that they do not want their "wealth spread around." Popular opinions have been that they have worked really hard and don't see why it is fair to give money to someone else. My personal favorite is someone who quoted the"give a man a fish" saying but admitted to using food stamps herself.

I have seen many of these women express firm Christian beliefs (the US as a Christian nation, abortion, etc) in other threads. Doesn't the Bible instruct charity, generosity, and taking care of those less fortunate? If you have this opinion, how do you justify it?

(P.S. not trying to start shit, cause a problem, or be mean. Just trying to understand).

jcsscfam5

Asked by jcsscfam5 at 11:46 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I totally agree with you! I personally don't have issues with the average person on welfare or other assistance...just the ones that abuse it...like getting pregnant again just to get a bigger check each month (I've known people to do that)
    Anonymous

• I don't agree with FORCED, socialistic redistribution of wealth. As a christian I try to donate to as many charities as I can, ones that I am passoniate about. Ones that are established, that I KNOW the money is going to those truely in need. I also give to my church for regular collection and collections for visiting preachers. My father is a pastor and I know how hard it can be sometimes to travel to other churches that are up to an hour or more away. I don't believe anyone should take someone elses money and dictate where it should be used. Especially with the screwed up way this welfare system is. I would not hesitate to buy someone I knew some diapers or formula. But socialism as a whole for this society, I am not comfortable with at all. I see it as rewarding the poor, (and sometimes lazy) reinforcing to them that there are benefits with being at the bottom, and also making it HARDER for them to rise above. con't...
    Anonymous

• ..Why try to work hard when your getting handouts for nothing? Also not fair to those that work their butts off to feed their family, save for their retirement, or their childrens college, to force them to pay someone elses way too because they made good decisions.
    Anonymous

• I don't mind sharing with the less fortunate...I support others as much as I can. I do however have a problem with people who don't work and expect it handed to them. We work really hard and own a business which my dh started after he grad. from h.s. His brothers on the other hand are lazy and their dad supports them and their families which in turn causes us to have to bail him out all the time. I'm sick of it. My sil is on wic...she drives a new tahoe, lives in one of the nicer homes in our community, just bought a new 4 wheeler, computer, and a horse for her 3 yr old. They make me sick and tired.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I agree with this... Something I read online from my financial man. This is my sentiments exactly..

http://www.daveramsey.com/etc/cms/butt_scratching_and_bass_fishing_10192.htmlc?ictid=htlnk
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• The bible also says charity comes from the heart. It isn't charity or generosity if it forced. I don't care if Joe Blow down the street wants to sit on his butt and smoke weed all day, but I guaran-damn-tee you, I will not pay for it.
    Momtocccd

Answer by Momtocccd at 12:07 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I have no problem with paying a little more taxes. I'm fortunate to make a little more than others. my parents were able to pay for my education and thanks to that I had more/better opportunities than some. It's not going to bankrupt me to pay a little more taxes. And if by doing that I get to help a child eat/have health care/go to school etc. then even better. I rather see my taxes spend on them than in Iraq. Although I'm fotunate to have a good life I don't live in abubble. I'm fully aware that not everyone in this country had the sme opportunities I did and do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• anon 10:10 - Great answer!

These are some of the selfish, petty answers that I was talking about! Everyone talks about how lazy pot smokers benefit from welfare and other social programs. How many single moms have you heard about on CM that actual need it.

anon 10:02 - If your sister SIL is actually doing this, why don't you say something or turn her in? Your allowing as much of a social injustice as your SIL is.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 12:18 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Momccctd - taxes don't have to be forced charity. I am happy to pay taxes because I know, at least part of it, goes to someone who may really need it.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 12:19 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• jcsscfam5 thanks. my parents didn't raised me with the me me all about me mentality that I have seen here by some. my mother never had to work because my father provided very well for us. but she always gave to those in need and she would take me and my brothers to feed the homeless as well as other events. I would like to think that she shape who I am today. she always made sure that we knew how fortunate we were.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Oct. 21, 2008