Is it normal for a seven month old to wake up all night?

I have a 7 month old son, who was sleeping through the night for about a month and a half. He had to get tubes about three weeks ago and is teething. At night we bathe him and feed him give him tylenol (his doctor's orders) and sometimes teething tablets. It never fails no matter what we do. He now sleeps four hours then wakes up every hour after that. Needless to say I am exhausted from lack of sleep. Any suggestions?

amys927

Asked by amys927 at 8:40 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Given everything that is going on, I wouldn't be surprised about this. What do you do when he wakes up?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:43 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I would be taking him back to the ENT where he had the tubes done to make sure they are in there correctly, draining as they should. And just that his ears in there are healthy. My nephew had problems with his tubes, it's not common but happens. Be pushy that something is wrong with him. Teething wouldn't keep him up like that night after night. And that much tylenol, per doctors orders? After a week I would be concerned. Good luck.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:44 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My personal suggestion would be to talk to your pediatrician again. When my LO went through this our's suggested benadryl before bed. It worked like a dream to get us through the rough patch. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:44 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I have taken him back twice since they were done. Sorry I meant to post that. How old can they be for benadryl? He has had an ear infection since basically the first of July. That is why we decided on the tubes finally. So basically we have had crappy nights since then, except for the three weeks he decided to sleep through the night. It is just hard to decide if I should go get him or let him cry it out. We are trying to get him to sleep on his own in his own room. His doctor told me to let him cry, but he cries for a really long time. So most times I go get him, other times I let him cry it out and see if he will go back to sleep. I am a first time mom and am confused about it all.
    amys927

Comment by amys927 (original poster) at 8:49 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Well, it sounds like your baby has a lot going on health wise, but also he could be going through a lot developmentally as well. My baby will be 8 months old next week, and she started learning to crawl in the last month, which meant we had some nights where she didn't sleep as well. Also, Tylenol only works for about 4 hours so if you're giving it to him for pain relief, then the Tylenol is wearing off and he could be in pain. What does your doctor say about giving him Motrin (ibuprofen), which lasts about 8 hours. If you think he's waking up in pain, then take him to another doctor for a 2nd opinion.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 9:12 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• What do you do when you go get him? Are you opposed to cosleeping?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:40 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• First of all I have to say this website it awesome. I wish I would have known about it months ago. I am not opposed to cosleeping. We were doing that before my husband decided he was old enough to sleep in his own bed and in his own room. When we first started that he slept that way for about a month then all these issues with his ears and teeth came up. We have tried Ibuprofen and he throws it up. So thats why his doctor said to stay with the tylenol. I think until he is done teething I will basically just have to deal with it. I just wanted to know if it was normal, or if I was babying him too much and I just needed to let him cry it out.
    amys927

Comment by amys927 (original poster) at 10:02 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• To be honest, if I were dealing with what you are dealing with, I would bring him into my bed the first time he woke up at night. I find that when I do that, my kids sleep better the rest of the night. I know it's not for everyone, that's why I asked if you were open to cosleeping. So, since you are, that's my advice :) I would not CIO, and I don't think you are babying him.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:23 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Thank you so much krysta622. My husband and I are really struggling, because I absolutely love to cuddle him every second I get and he thinks I shelter him way too much and baby him way to much. So I am glad there are other people out there and I am not being way overprotective.
    amys927

Comment by amys927 (original poster) at 10:35 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My son didnt sleep through the night until he was 13 months old. Yes its normal and not all babies sleep through the night as early as others.
    mommy2angel

Answer by mommy2angel at 2:41 AM on Sep. 25, 2010