Do you think it is ok to date someone new casually when you are a single mom with a 9 month old?

I am 39 and I have a 15 year old and a 9 month old. I am divorced. There's a really nice, hard-working guy that wants to take me out to dinner, etc. I cannot shake the feeling, though, that maybe while my daughter, especially, is so young, that I shouldn't even go out casually- that I should instead be concentrating only on the kids. Comments? Advice? Am I being too old-fashioned? I just don't want to take away from or hurt my kids!

kelbel39

Asked by kelbel39 at 11:52 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in General Parenting

• Take care of yourself as well as your children! I agree, that you shouldn't bring them around until it's serious, but what is wrong with going out to dinner and seeing where it goes? Would it be wrong of you to go for a girls night out? I realize the company is different with a date, but it's the same basic principal: you getting out of the house and still being yourself! You will go crazy if you focus solely on your children!
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 8:59 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• A happy mama equals happy babies. I think that you need to take care of yourself just as much as you take care of your babies. Your talking about going out to dinner!! Enjoy yourself.

Good luck!!
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 12:03 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Girl, there is NOTHING wrong with casually dating as a single mom no matter how old you are. I've met women who met their husbands while they were pregnant with some one else's child. I think the feeling you can't shake has nothing to do with your parenting - your concern reflects great love for you precious ones - but it might be a feeling of just being anxious about getting back into casual dating.

Love and take care kelbel!
    chachimami

Answer by chachimami at 12:07 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I probably would'nt date anyone, especially b/c I have girl's. I would'nt trust another man if not there father.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Go for it in my book if it's not serious don't bring him around the kids cause that would be to confusing. You deserve to have a life and have fun.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 12:12 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• go for it!!! why shouldn't you be happy? If he makes you happy, good for you!
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 12:21 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Talk 2 ur daughter & c how she feels. if u think she's gonna b ok w/ it, give it a try & c where it goes. I don't think I'd introduce them rite away, maybe if it becomes a little more serious.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 12:51 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• There is nothing wrong with dating, the only thing I would suggest is unless it gets serious don't bring him around the kids.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 5:24 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• My mom and dad got married 2 weeks before I turned 1. They started dating in Jan when I was 8 months, got engaged 3 weeks later and now have been married for 25 yrs. It started very casual because my mom was going out with my dad just because he had tickets to a sold out concert !
    JRAFreak

Answer by JRAFreak at 6:07 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• i would say its fine i mean after all alot of mom and dads go out for dinner and leave kids with a sitter at that age so if u want to go out its fine and if you are worried about leaving her plan a late dinner put her to bed and then leave the sitter will be there just in case she wakes up she wont eaven know ur not there
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 6:44 AM on Oct. 21, 2008