I don't know what to do anymore :( :(

I'm in desperate need of some advice. My 10 yr. old son suffers from ADHD & ODD & l8ly it's been getting worse. I am literally @ my wits end & soooo ready 2 pull my hair out. I was sooo frustrated 2nite that I told his dad 2 get him out of my house rite in front of him & now I feel beyond guilty bc I didn't mean it. But I'm tired of the fighting 2 do his hw, I'm tired of the I"m not going 2 do it attitude, I'm tired of the failing grades. I'm sooo upset rite now that I'm actually crying. I love my son more than NE thing, but can't take this NE more. It's affecting our whole family. my daughters r tired of hearing the fighting & their dad & I r fighting w/ ea. other more & more. Can some one please help me, give me some advice or NE suggestions as 2 what else may b going on. I feel like we're losing our son & we r going 2 end up h8ng ea. other & that upsets me as well as scares me.

LovingParent08

Asked by LovingParent08 at 11:53 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in General Parenting

• I lost it over something stupid last night with my 11 yo. What you are going through is very difficult and being at your wits end is understandable. Your family is living with this challenge 24/7. Nobody signs up for this when they have kids. We aren't prepared no matter how much we love our children, to handle anything that comes along. With any overwhelming challenge, we need to recognize WE need help. Get counseling, help from the school with homework, find time for yourself, your marriage and some child/parent dates with both kids just for fun. Your daughter needs the attention and you, your husband and your son need some good old fashioned fun. There is so much help out there, especially support groups, that you can find a way to avoid something like last night. Ask him to forgive you, forgive yourself and get a fresh start with a new plan of action.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 6:32 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• try homeschooling. hes prolly in his rebellious stage. just keep a positive attitude. i know its hard. but try.
    xkrystals.momx

Answer by xkrystals.momx at 12:05 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I thought about homeschooling, but how would he get the social interaction w/ other students if he's not in an actual classroom?
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 12:48 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• well i didnt think about that. i guess u culd put him in some kinda after school program that u dnt have 2 go 2 that school 2 b in.
    xkrystals.momx

Answer by xkrystals.momx at 12:56 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Talk to your pediatrician, perhaps any medication that he is on is no longer working.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• To me it sounds like he may need a medication change. My stepson has ADD and usually when things start acting out of control he is either not taking his meds or they need to be changed. Different kids and how they act require different meds. Does he go to a therapist? If it is the pedi perscribing, I would suggest a therapist that specializes with children because they will get to the root of the problem and be able to better prescribe. They still will have to call it in to the pedi to get approval so the pedi can monitor effects.
    We did this with my stepson who lives with us and I tell you it has made a huge difference. I was at the point where I was ready to take the rest of my kids and leave my husband because I couldn't stand the attitude and disrespectfulness any longer.
    janie-o

Answer by janie-o at 3:58 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• However bad you feel remember your son still feels worse. He is at a very difficult age and to top it off he has ADD &ODD. Sit him down and apologize for what you said I couldn't imagine how that must have torn him up. Homeschooling is a great thing I was homeschooled and am currently homeschooling my children. There are so many resources through the city with sports and activities. As well as things like the YMCA and church activities if you attened. If it's something you are interested in there are many homeschooling groups on here such as happy homeschoolers. Good Luck
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 9:24 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Wow. I could have written that. I know how you feel. It is really horrible and no one seems to understand. I have no advice, I am going through the same thing. Is your son on medication?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:06 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Yes he's on 2 different forms of Adderall. ! he gets in the am b4 he leaves 4 school & the nurse gives him the 2nd dose 2 help get him thru the rest of the day. & 2 little.miss.mom, I have apologized but I feel even worse @ xs bc I feel like 2 him, it doesn't mean ne thine & is wasted words. And let me clarify, I LOVE MY SON DEARLY & WON'T GIVE UP but @ xs, I feel like I should & that he deserves a better, more patien parent.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 8:09 PM on Oct. 21, 2008