Advise on avoiding a c-section?

My baby boy is breech right now and I googled ways to make him turn, but they don't seem to do anything expect make me feel silly haha. One thing I've been doing is laying on my back with my hips raised for ten minutes each day, but like I said, I can still feel his stuborn head pushing on my ribs. :P

ours

Asked by ours at 11:56 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Pregnancy

• How far along are you? Babies are breach up to a certain point then they turn on their own.
    AuntieM

Answer by AuntieM at 12:00 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I'm 33 weeks and I know he still has time, but I just want to do as much as possible to avoid a c-section. He's already double the size that's average so they're talking about a possible c-section to get him out, but we'll see. They might induce me early and see what happens.
    ours

Answer by ours at 12:03 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Blahh if you figure it out, please tell me how! I'm 31 weeks and I'm terrified of having a c-section :( I don't know why I'm so scared, my fears are kind of unfounded, lol. I asked my doctor when my baby would turn, and he said they didn't expect her to be in birth position until 36 weeks. I'm measuring correctly with my due date though, that might have something to do with it. Good luck, I hope your baby turns soon enough!
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:06 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• There is a procedure your ob/gyn can do to turn him around. It is called External cephalic version. Let me link you a few websites that might help you get information.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/980901ap/coco.html
    http://health.yahoo.com/pregnancy-birth/external-cephalic-version-version-for-breech-position/healthwise--hw180146.html

It has about a 50/50 chance of working, so I say talk to your doctor about it.
    cdgoldilocks

Answer by cdgoldilocks at 12:10 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• your doctor can try to do an aversion. where they manually try to make baby turn by shoving on your belly.

a bag of frozen vegatables, set right on his head.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Frozen vegetables, really? Does that just make him annoyed and cold so he moves? haha
    ours

Answer by ours at 12:12 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• also, i know it sounds silly, but talk to your baby constantly and tell him how great it will be when he's in the proper position for birth, and imagine him rotating and positioning himself. supposedly doing a handstand in water (like a pool) will help flip him but it makes me laugh just picturing a pregnant woman upside down... and theres the ECV that the pp suggested
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 12:14 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I have to have a c-sec and im still worried. I have already had 2. My first was when i was 34wks pg with my son. he wasnt big. My cervix just couldn't open.
    You can prepare all you want but you dont know what is going to happend til you go into labor.
    I hope every thing goes ok I dont wish a c-sec on anyone it is a lot harder on your body.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Our pool is WAY too cold to do a handstand in right now. Although...that actually might be a good combination of the frozen vegetables (because it's so cold) and doing a handstand haha.

I'll have my husband talk to him about turning. It's always so cute when he talks to my belly because he whispers so the baby doesn't think he's yelling.
    ours

Answer by ours at 12:21 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• My first was breech and never turned. I opted for the c-section because she was footling breech and it's more risky to deliver that kind of breech than the butt first ones! The doctor gave me all my options and I refused to do the aversion because some of the risks are pre-term labor, placental abrupt ion and possibly death...um...no thanks! Not for me! Try the visualizing, etc. Check out www.spinningbabies.com...they have some good ideas!

beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 12:37 AM on Oct. 21, 2008