when to take the hat and swaddle off?

My DD will be 3 weeks old on monday, when can i start leaving her hat off. we also swaddle her at night somtimes when its a bit colder but when is it ok to stop with that? is there a certain age you waited for or until it was just warmer in your house? it usually stays between 72-88 degrees in my home, and we have her in a full body suit with footies and mittens and her hat. is she getting to hot?

hotmommy420

Asked by hotmommy420 at 9:18 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes, let her out whenever she is not sleeping, she needs to just be and move subtly and naturally. anywhere from 2-3 months no later than 4 months for that. and you can go looser the older they get. my baby is six months now. she never really liked swaddlin gbut id use it occasionally and then she became more and more alert and liked it less and less. she does not need the hat unles syou guys are goign outside or it is below 72 degrees. babies Areon the cold side so opt for long sleeves rather than short sleeves all the way up til one year old, except for summer outside, i am talking about cold homes or cold a/c's. don;t overheat baby but you are doign right in that they tend to not be abel to regulate their body temperature as well as adults til they are liek 1 or 2 in general. the hat, doe snot need to be on all the time, just when there is a breeze or the house is making peopel feel cool with the a/c. mittens just for nails
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 9:23 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• i swaddled mine til they were 6mons m/b older..an as far as the hat depending on where u live i wouldnt stop the hat until they are m/b 6mons cause the cause the hole in the top is still open until bout a 1yr
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 9:24 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Your baby really only needs to wear one layer more than what you're comfortable in. My son was an October baby, and my daughter was born this past February, and we only put hats on them if it was really, really cold outside. Your baby really doesn't need to wear a hat indoors. Same thing with the mittens. You can start cutting their nails at 2 weeks so just cut them so she won't scratch herself. As far as swaddling, babies LOVE to be swaddled and typically sleep better when they are. I swaddled both of my kids until they were 6 months. When my son was a baby, I would put him in the footed PJs with a t-shirt underneath, then swaddle him and wonder why he would wake up so cranky: he was too hot! Both of my babies wore the light cotten footed PJs (only b/c I worried about cold feet even with a swaddle), and they were fine at night. I know some moms put their babies in onesies to sleep in and then put them in a sleep sack
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 9:24 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• The hat never got put back on once we left the hospital. He learned how to pull it off in the first night. He also never liked being swaddled so we gave up on it after a week of him kicking free.
    BraythansMom

Answer by BraythansMom at 9:53 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I'd say with the temperature in your hose that is too much clothing. I had my baby this time ls year and she was either nked skin to skin (nothing regulates like mommy) or in a long sleeved tee or onesie with babylegs (legwarmers rather than pants) and socks, and more only i it was especially cold or we were going out. I never did mittens, the scratches were minor and healed. She didn't do that for long. My baby runs hot so too much makes her sweat. I know that if it is warm and I am comfortable, she's likely hot. If it is cooler and I am uncomfortable, she's perfect. She inherited her dads thermostat. I never swaddled tightly (you should never swaddle a baby's legs straight, make sure her legs are in a natural position) I only wrapped for warmth and to control flailing during early breastfeeding.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 7:18 AM on Sep. 25, 2010