What do you do when u cant afford Private, but afraid to homeschool?

So. My daughter is almost 4. D day is coming closer & closer (D for decision).. and really its 2 more years away with her late october birthday & all....But I'm still a very worried mommy!
- I dont want my kid going to public school. Our schools are not that great! And PS in my opinion is becoming more of a "PA for kids" but Im afraid this will end up where she will be
-Im afraid to homeschool. It sounds amazing. But if I REALLY think of the responsibility, honestly, its scary!
- Private School (K-12th)= $70,000 (a small home) then we will have college after that & a private school does not = better than Public always!...
So, what do u do? Any thoughts?!

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 9:22 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in

• "Charter schools are great and I don't know one that is done at home. They are SCHOOLS."

My dd attends a regular brick and mortar charter school, and she loves it. However, there ARE online charter schools. I have several friends who have children attending online charter schools, and I looked into one briefly for my oldest dd. As auto said already, just because you've never heard of online charter schools, doesn't mean they don't exist. Many online programs are awesome and offer far more that a "regular" school does (both "regular" public and charter).

Check this out if you don't believe me: Here are some examples of public/charter online schools.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:37 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Well... I know in my state (as well as many others) there are some good online public and charter schools. You're not completely homeschooling, they set the curriculum and there are teachers, etc. That could be something to check into. I can't think of the names of the schools off the top of my head, but maybe you could google online schools K-8 for your area.

Some areas have K-8 charter schools that aren't online programs too.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:28 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• The thought of home-schooling can be very intimidating. When I started thinking about it, I tossed it back and forth for a few years. When the time came for my son to begin kindergarden, I made the decision to home-school and haven't looked back. After that first year, most of my anxiety and apprehension has melted away. It really is easier than you a lot of people may think. You could always try it out for a year, and if it doesn't work, then look more into public/private/charter schools. There are so many resources and support groups around, that I truly believe home-schooling is easier than ever before.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 6:57 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Move to a town with a good public school. Our public school is excellent!!!!!!!!!
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:41 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• unless you've actually applied for financial assistance at the private schools near you, I would not rule them out. They can be cheaper than you think, that stuff is income based
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:49 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I took a deep breath & dove into homeschooling. Yes, it's daunting to think of the responsibility, but I've found it much easier than I thought. There are MANY different programs out there & several of them are done online or through videos, like a satellite school. You just have to make sure your child does their lessons & that you are available to answer questions & work with them. The elementary years are relatively easy in subject matter & you can take it year by year to see if it will work for you.

We're in our 11th year of homeschooling. The child that I first homeschooled is now 21 & JUST landed the job of his dreams yesterday. He is working as a computer tech. He learned it all on his own & has been repairing computers and gaming systems for 5 years as a paying hobby. He was chosen over 100 applicants after he walked into the store & just started talking computers with the owner, never imagining he would be hired.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 5:45 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Charter schools are great and I don't know one that is done at home. They are SCHOOLS.

there ARE charter/homeschool programs which are NOT b&m facilities. just because you haven't heard of them doesn't mean they don't exist.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 6:38 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Find a different private school. I am in your same boat for the most part. My son started kinder. 2 weeks ago and we intended for me to home school him, but with my failing health and vision (and him testing gifted) it felt like a new game plan was needed in order to give him the best of what he needs. we applied for financial aid at a local private christian school and canceled our cable and eat out less..... voila. private school school paid for on a single income household. good luck!!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:25 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I would look into charter schools.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My son attended charter schools.

That was the way to go for us.

He attended an "international school" in elementary.. He attended a charter for academically advanced students Jr High & High School.

Charter schools are usually free. However most do have a waiting list so you have to get on the list, or register early. Some have standards that must be upheld (like the one my son attended for Jr High/High school, students had to maintain a certain grade point average), some don't.. It just depends on the school and the type of charter it is. Some are charters that focus on education in the arts, some languages/cultures, some science and math, some are for academically advanaced students, and some are just plain old schools just like a public school.

Charter schools are a good option for some kid..,
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:05 PM on Sep. 25, 2010