i want to start a petition: i receive $241 a month frm temp. cash assistance in florida. today i went to an appointment with my case worker and he said now i have to volunteer 35 hours a week to continue receiving $241 a month.

OMG that is slave work. a minimum wage job would pay more. but i understand they put single mothers thru this hassle but when the guys goes on child support and says he doesnt have job they make him pay like 50-100 a month and thats it. they dont mandate the men to find jobs so they can support more. IDK im just going to finish my degree in 2 semesters and just say deuces to this public assistance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:23 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Money & Work

• Maybe they have done this to ensure that lazy people aren't just collecting without bettering themselves. Obviously you are bettering yourself, so good for you!
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:26 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Sorry I see nothing wrong with it..... People are helping you why can't you see past your selfish ways and help others......
    I'm sure if you were working you wouldn't need to do this. I think you're selfish.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:27 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Do like you said and get away from public assistance cause theres no way a fighting them. Been there done that! Good luck
    mymestey

Answer by mymestey at 9:27 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Why wouldn't you do your degree in two semesters any way to get off faster?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:34 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Why are you so upset?Get up and finish school and get a job.If all you got is two semester.What is takeing you so long to finish?cause your wanting someone to take care of you.Dont rely on no man to take care of you .Take care of yourself and that child.
    ayneka

Answer by ayneka at 9:40 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Why is it that you get to go to school while most people would like to go back to school but have families to support! Why do we have to pay for you to better your situation and you don't have to work at all. Even if its for two semesters.

alexiamms

Answer by alexiamms at 9:45 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• What about childcare? Who is going to take care of the children and who is going to pay for it. This is while you are volunteering for 35 hours a week. Is this 35 hours a week, every week?
    I understanding having to work. But, this seeems extreme.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:41 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I think it's odd....
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:42 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I work 40 hours a week and go to school full time. You're not doing anything hard. Get off your ass and do something. I'd make you do more than community service if you were receiving public assistance and not doing anything. I doubt your getting any type of relevant degree if it can be finished in two semester. A minimum wage job would pay more? So go get one. In fact, get a full time one and stop relying on hard working people who don't get the chance to quit work and go to school to get a better job.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 9:57 PM on Sep. 24, 2010