Who is this person that you call, "Mom"?

Tell me about the person you call "mom," whether it's good, bad, or down right ugly. Is she your birth mother? Do you have the worst mother/daughter relationship in the world? Do people mistake you for sisters? What do you have in common? What do you NOT have in common? Are you closer than the Gilmore Girls? Does she ever do something that makes you wish you could tape her up in a big box with air holes and mail her to the other side of the world?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 9:26 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• First...LOVE the phrasing of your question (kudos). I'm blessed to have a fabulous MIL with whom I have a better relationship after only 4 years than 40 with my birth mother. We were never really close (my mom and I), but since I became pregnant with my DD (her first and only grandchild) 1 1/2 years ago, our relationship has completely plummeted to non-existant. NOT being close with ME, IMO, is not an excuse to acknowledge your granddaughter. Interesting question.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 9:30 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• ... I ran out of room..
    Even though both moms suck....
    My father is the BEST dad in the entire world!!
    For what I lack in mom... my dad has made up for in spades!!!! And for that... I am grateful!!
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 9:38 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• she is my real mom...she is amazing and my best friend!! we have a lot in common...i dont know what i would do without her...
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 9:31 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Wow

I think that subject is more than anyone really wants to know. Let's just say my childhood has a LOT of negative moments sprinkled with some good. I've been through counseling to deal with it. My mother is still in my life, only because I love my step father and I want him to be in my life.

I feel bad for my mother, her own childhood messed her up. She is not capable of loving a child the way one should be loved. I know that now. I know how to walk the minefield and avoid most of the mines. They still occasionally explode, but I have now learned to wear protective gear and to contain most of the potential damage.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:32 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I WISH we were even half as close as the Gilmore Girls! She's overbearing, very religious, right wing conservative, and I'm none of those things. BUT! She is caring and kind-hearted, she's an amazingly generous person, and I love her! My sister and I are adopted, we're not biologically related, but our mom has given us a better life than her birth parents or my birth mother could ever have given us!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 9:33 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I call 'Mom' my step-mother :)

Almost 10 years now.
    CandyHorse

Answer by CandyHorse at 9:33 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I VERY MUCH DISLIKE both of my "mothers". My biological mother abandoned me, my sister and my brother when she was 28. I was 2 months old, my brother was 7 and my sis had just turned 10. She left us home alone. My dad came home from work and found us all crying and dirty with a note. He was 28 with 3 kids, had dropped out of school and was working at a car wash trying so hard to raise his fam. My dad stepped up.. got a nanny, the only 1 he could afford, (who I don't remember, but I'm told she was mean). I guess the Universe saw fit to have his first love, who just got her 2nd divorce and had lived in multiple states.. moved next door to us. Old sparks rekindled.. they got married a few short months later. Enter.. the "Step-Monster"... She has been HORRIBLE to me my ENTIRE life!! Not going to graduations, Telling me the birth/life of my son is "A DAMN SHAME"... They are now divorced.. Pop is alone.... both of my "mom's" SUCK!!!
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 9:35 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I like my mil!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:36 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I call my mom (birth) and mother in law mom. I'm probably a little closer with my MIL than my real mom. Although my mom and I have a good relationship too. She does look very young for her age and we are often mistaken as being sisters.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:38 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• my mom is all mine and i love her till the end
    LoVe4Free

Answer by LoVe4Free at 9:45 PM on Sep. 24, 2010