Has anyone been in an open adoption involveing DHS and the potential father be found?

My brother andsister-in-law are foster parents. They are adopting a beautiful little girl, who the birth mother has already signed over her rights. This is an open adoption. The child has been with my brother and sister-in-law for eight months, the mother who has alot of problems, gave several names of who the father might be and now a guy has shown up. We are waiting for the DNA test to come back, but we already know that this guy is trouble. He has done some time for drugs, he lived at the shelter down town (that's were he met the birth mother) he only has a part time job and he currently is living with any family member that will take him in. We are waiting for the DNA test to come back, but has anyone been in a simiarl situation? Did the adoption work out? We need some reasurance. help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Adoption

• They won't give him the child if he doesn't have a stable home or job.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:32 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I don't think the above answer is true. There are many parents who are living with their parents and have no job, they get to keep their kids.

Have you seen what's going on with the Baby Vanessa case where a judge ordered a two year old into the custody of her birth fathers mother. The birth father had recently been released from jail for abusing the child's birth mother! http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robin-sax/the-battle-for-baby-vanes_b_638486.html

onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 7:37 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Sadly there is no one answer for this. I would expect the DHS to offer dad services (parenting classes ect.), perhaps allow supervised visits. It will take concentrated effort and time from dad in my experience with DHS and fostering I wouldn't be too threatened by him. ((hugs)) to you and your family
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 1:34 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Hopefully the father will sing over his parental rights, If he wanted to be involved he would have been from the start
    Bjoycassell

Answer by Bjoycassell at 6:49 PM on Sep. 29, 2010