flat spots on baby's head

Today my mother pointed out that my 2 month's old head has a little flat spot on the back of it. She said I'm laying him on his back too much. But I was told not to put the baby on his belly and if the baby sleeps the majority of the day what can I do? I don't want him to have a misshapen head, but I don't really see a solution unless I were to carry him all day long to keep pressure off his head...which I won't do. Does that go away as he gets older? Solutions anyone?

walkintherain

Asked by walkintherain at 9:36 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You rotate him to a different side every time you lay him down. Left, right, back. tummy when awake.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:39 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My DD had that as well. Our pediatrician just said that when she was asleep, just turn her head from one side to the other (they don't usually wake up). And also, remember to do daily tummy time... BTW, my daughter now has a perfectly shaped head. Sleeping on the back is much safer, and a flat spot is better than any alternative. You're doing the right thing by sleeping him on his back. The head will normally shape itself out once your son gets stronger and can move his head on his own a little better. You're fine.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 9:40 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I agree with BradenIsMySon. This is what I did for my little man.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:40 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My cousins baby had this, she would lay him on his back all the time. He is now 10 and his head is very flat. The doctor wanted him to wear some type of head gear the mother said no. So he has a very flat head. I would show your ped. doctor. This is treatable because there heads are very soft yet. Just rotate him from side to side.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 9:45 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I worked in a daycare where the mother was laying her son on his back all the time, put him in the swing, car seat, etc....had limited tummy time. My daycare called CPS and they almost took him away from her. He was 2 when I left the facility but still had a flat back side of the head and was visibly misshapen. It was horrible.... The previous posters are right, you can buy the baby positioner so when you put them on their side, they won't roll. Each time you lay them down, lay them down in a different position. It will straighten out sooner or later. Good Luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:52 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I have been thinking the same thing about my little guy. I cant wait until he can hold his head up more consistantly so he wont be laying down all the time.
    Laurelflower

Answer by Laurelflower at 9:55 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My daughter had that, but it takes over a year for the head to close completely, so don't worry about it. Once they can sit up more you can keep them in different positions so that their head hardens in a round formation.
    Maureenmich

Answer by Maureenmich at 11:10 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• yes it does, dont let anyone tell you otherwise. Just as when the baby is born with a misshapen head and that forms normally so will the "flat" part of the head now.
    qustnmrk28

Answer by qustnmrk28 at 11:32 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• You should carry him more. Container syndrome is becoming a serious problem where not enough "in arms" care is not only causing flat heads but hinders development. Studies have revealed that too many babies in the west are being held to little (at times less than three hours a day). You can get a wrap/sling or other carrier (even a sheet can become a safe baby carrier) and carry the baby while getting things done. Seriously evaluate how long the baby is laying flat. Babies should be held upright. It helps them to develop strength especially in their core. I don't understand why people thing carrying a baby around a lot is bad when that is how nature had designed them.

spines/container syndrome/flat heads
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:59 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• QUOTE: Not only is spending most of the day flat on your back bad for your hips but infants who lie frequently on their backs in a stroller may end up with plagiocephaly (deformed skulls, flattened on the back or side) and deformed bodies with poor muscle tone (Bonnet,1998). Research backed by the American Academy of Pediatrics states that "with prolonged immobilization on a firm mattress or a flat bed (as in a stroller), the constant influence of gravity flattens the body surface against the mattress producing positional disorders and infants with decreased muscle tone (Short, 1996)".

QUOTE: "This does not mean that laying flat for a couple of walks around the block in a stroller is going to wreak havoc on your baby's physical development. But the truth is that the average Western infant between three weeks and three months of age is carried a little more than two and a half hours a day (Heller, 118.) "
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 7:05 AM on Sep. 25, 2010