Who is this person that you call, "Dad"? (Spin off :)

(I rarely do "spin off" questions, but this just seemed necessary for those who would rather talk about their dad/father figure than mom/maternal figure.)

For those who are closer to a male/didn't have a female figure in your life, tell us something about him, your relationship, etc. Why do you love him so much? Why are you close? Have you had some rocky moments?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 9:43 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Well. He was technically my step dad. Raised me, and was my best friend. He always took my side on everything. I was his number one person on this earth. We had a ton in common. He taught me everything I know. Things including boys, jobs, driving, how to be a good parent, life. He was the coolest nicest person I've ever know. He passed away two weeks ago. I miss him a lot.
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 9:47 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My 'Dad' is really my step father. He has always been there for me since he came into my life 30 years ago, when I was 6 years old. I can talk to him about anything.

He has been the one who encouraged me to be what I want to be despite my mom thinking that being a teacher was beneath me. He's the one who softly prompted me that I can raise a disabled child when I didn't think I could do it. He's the one who pushed me back on the horse when ever I feel off.
    That man has been there for me for everything and anything. I can not say enough about him. He is the best dad in the world--and he didn't have to be. He wanted to be.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:51 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• my real dad....we weren't really close when i was a teenager but i now understand why he is the way he is and respect him more now that i ever have. my daddy is the most honest, hard working, loving man i know. he may put on a front as a tough guy but when it comes to me and my kids, he's a big softie! i love my daddy :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:55 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My step daddy he came into my life when i was 3yrs old and did everything for me that my real father would never do or wanted to do...i am lucky to have a dad (my step-dad his my dad) like him. anytime i need him he has been there for me. his also a great grandpa to my kids. i love you daddy. =)
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 9:50 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My grandfather took that role until he died in my tweens.

My mom remarried when I was 18, and that, is far as as I'm concerned, my DAD. When I was in the hospital, he sent my mom to me, w/o my having to ask. When I was in labor, he felt my pain with me. When my sons had colic, he walked the floors with them to show me how to help them. When my heart has broken, he has sat with me in silence, or in commiseration however I needed. He refers to me as his daughter, and when people do the math (he's only 14 years older than I am), he says he doesn't care. Blood's thicker than water.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 9:53 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My dad is the BEST, most AMAZING human being on earth. He genuinely loves, sacrafices, nurtures, encourages and is the most unbelievable role model for what a human being could only strive to be...his entire life. He has such a pure soul. Even though my step monster is well... a monster..and even though she gambled away his house, both of his cars and his retirement savings 3 years ago (when he was 60) he still pays her bills.. health insurance and he makes sure all of his "kids" are ok.. he doesn't differentiate between his natural born children and my step siblings... He says we're all his kids and just because things didn't work out with her... he can't turn his love off like a faucet.
    I only wish I could be 1/2 the person my Pop is... he really is an amazing person!!!
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 9:54 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My dad is technically not even related to me at all. He was my stepfather. He was in my life as my daddy from the time I was two. He and my mom were together for a little over twenty years before she left him. But regardless, he is my daddy, always has been and always will be. He has treated me no different from my sisters, and he is a GREAT grandfather to my children. Even though he and my mom have been divorced for almost five years, he is still here, and nothing is different. In fact, he just drove 1400 miles from Texas to Pennsylvania to come see me and mine!

I love you, Daddy!
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 10:07 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My Grandpa, because he always loved me for who I was, never judged me for my mistakes, and was always there for me no matter what. I miss him very much (passed away Feb of this year).
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 10:12 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• See my answer for your previous question and can substitute father and FIL in the same spots.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 10:17 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:27 PM on Sep. 24, 2010