My 5yr old was diagnosed with a uti 2 days ago and is running a fever now. She is just laying around now! what should I do?

When she got off the bus her fever was 103.8. Called the doctor. He said to give tylenol her antibotics and monitor her. He said as long as she is eating and drinking she should be fine. Well her fever is 102 now. she hasnt gotten off the couch since like 3 and its almost 9 now!!!

jbond83

Asked by jbond83 at 9:53 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Kids' Health

• A UTI can go to her kidneys if not treated properly. If shes on antibiotics that should help. If she complains of real bad stomach or lower back pain take her to the ER. I gave my children tylenol one dose and motrin the next time (switch back and forth) and it brought the fever down- and we do this at the hospital I work at. Popsicles or ice chips works great for dehydration
    lovmyhubby

Answer by lovmyhubby at 10:02 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• try to get her to drink plenty of water and keep giving her tylenol and motrin.. if she's not better in the morning take her to the hospital.. i hope she feels better soon..
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 9:55 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Orange juice, cranberry juice, water, cranberry pills(cheap at Walmart in vitamin section), antibiotcs, and time
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:56 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Is she on anything for the uti? Just give her plenty of fluids and rest.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:56 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• canberry juice works awesome. And the canberry pills too. I get uti's a lot ( I can't take a bath with soap in the water, I've always been like that) and they have worked wonders for me every time. And A LOT of water, nothing with a lot of sugar in it.
    jojolicious220

Answer by jojolicious220 at 9:59 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Her antibotics should start to work with in 24 hours. I have had UTI's since I was 7 yrs old. You can feel so sick. I would get a fever, vomit, stomach ache and have felt very week. Make sure she is drinking, you can give her cranberry juice which is very good. It is strong try not to put water in it if you can. If you do not think she is getting any better by morning call your ped. doctor. What meds is she taking? Poor thing. I hope she feels better soon!!
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 10:02 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• if her back starts to hurt take her in asap! that would be a sign the infection spread to her kidneys.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:03 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• she's been on antibotics for a few days. she refuses to take anymore tylenol or eat or drink anything. hasnt consumed anything but her antibotic and tylenol since 3. hasnt even got up to go to the bathroom. i am very concerned. i even sat her up and held some water to her mouth with a straw and still nothing.
    jbond83

Comment by jbond83 (original poster) at 10:07 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Wow she is very sick. I do not think I would wait till the morning take her to the ER now. She may have a kidney infection. She sounds pretty bad. If she has been on antil. for a few days, she should be staring to feel better. This is nothing to play around with. Take her now.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 10:19 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• First of all, I RARELY tell people to go to the ER. But I would highly suspect a kidney infection... probably NOT just e coli bacteria, which is what most are and they give the abx that are effective against it. If her bladder infection is also another type of bacteria, her ABx she is on might be not effective against it.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 10:19 PM on Sep. 24, 2010