Am I going to be a bad mom?

My friend has a one year old that she brought to my baby shower and she likes to pawn her off on me (which is fine, I love her baby), but this time when she did it Joey (the baby) had a mixture of cake, guacamole, and fruit all over her hands and face. I was so grossed out that I handed her back. My friend said that I'm not prepared at all for being a mom and it made me feel bad.

I just think that even though they're babies, they can still be kind of clean, right? I don't know, but I'm still going to try. I'm just really weird when it comes to things with food and being a polite eater haha.

ours

Asked by ours at 12:25 AM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Well it is different when it is your own kid who is messy. It doesn't gross you out (as much). I have a thing for keeping my kids hands and faces clean. I hate grubby hands. By the way you are never prepared for motherhood. You are going to be a great mom!
    mommyofmaknchz

Answer by mommyofmaknchz at 12:29 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Your friend was mean :( She shouldn't have said that.

I think there's a difference between someone else's baby being dirty and your baby being dirty. Like...I HATE poop and pee and snot and puke...but I'm willing to deal with it from my baby because I have to. Babies are gross and nasty sometimes only because they can't clean or take care of themselves. There's realistically no way to avoid it. I think it'll be different with your baby, it might not bother you as much =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:29 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• i was the same but once u become a mom it just seems a normal thing everyday... the gross part is that the baby was walking around like that.. mothers need to clean there kids
    vadasmom

Answer by vadasmom at 12:29 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• it's different when it's your own baby :) I can't stand vomit but if it's my kids, I just clean it up and cuddle them. It's weird what being Mommy will do when you need it. Never in my life did I think I could stomach cleaning poo off of walls and stuff, but I've done it.

and I'm sure you will keep your baby cleaner

although my husband gets grossed out by babies and kids eating ketchup and making a mess...not sure why LOL
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 12:30 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• it will be different for your baby i se to think it was gross to then i had my son ad lord lol that left quick he was such a mess lol
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 12:31 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I think it follows the same principle as most people can't stand other people's bodily secretions or messes...but they don't usually have as many issues with their own. Like if you walk into the bathroom and see someone else's poop in the toilet, you'll get grossed out, right? But if you turn around and see yours in the toilet, it probably isn't as gross.

Haha, maybe I'm wrong, but it seems sorta like the same thing for babies.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:32 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• My SO hates things that are soggy. So he hates it when our kids come up to him with thinks all over their hands. Or when our 10m old puts to much in her mouth and he has to get it out.
    But he does it. And he is a great daddy
    It is harder when it is someone elses kid when you have you rbaby boy( saw your other post) You will be fine.
    Good luck
    Congrats
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Haha I agree, she didn't even clean her after I gave her back! I would have done it myself but I was being talked to by like three different people and honestly just didn't want to get up and look for a napkin haha.

I think it'll be so funny to watch my OCD husband change a dirty diaper! He still makes jokes that I'll have to change it everytime, but I'm sure it'll change. They bought him a mask and gloves at the baby shower for his present hahah.
    ours

Answer by ours at 12:33 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• So it's totally different with your baby, but I like you prefer to have my daughter (even at age 2) start to learn her manners about keeping clean and being a polite eater. I can tell you that in doing this at only 2 she can't stand to have dirty hands, she eats with her utensils, and she always has to wash her hands, no neither she or I are OCD, but I just prefer that she is clean, and not icky. Does that mean that she is always clean, NO ... not a chance, nor would I want her to be. She still plays outside and gets dirty, but she likes to be cleaned up when she is done. You are going to be a great MOM, don't worry, like another poster said NONE of us are ready for it, until it comes.

smilinghug

Answer by smilinghug at 12:36 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• That is no measure of how you'll be as a mom! Personally, I'm disgusted that your friend didn't clean her kid up! I am constantly chasing my toddler down to clean Lord knows what off her hands. One thing is for sure....when it's your own kid, it doesn't bother you near as much!
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 12:39 AM on Oct. 21, 2008