What do you do with mails that come to your home but do not belong to you?

We just moved to a new home and we keep getting mails that do not belong to us. I am not one to open other people's mails and I dont have the heart to throw them away. I cant go to the post office because I dont drive so I am at a loss as to what to do with these mails. They are just piling up!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Home & Garden

• take a sharpie and write "Return to Sender, not at this address" also if there is that barcode thing at the bottom, I mark through it (it's electronically read and will come back to you otherwise) then put them back in the mail box with the flag up
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 12:38 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• the happen to us in our old house and i have no idea for how long we send them back write wrong address and everything until we give up and threw them in the trash i know it wasn't right but it was just to many mails and different people

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• What flutterfae said! It's they only way!
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:10 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• We shred them to make sure anyone else's personal information within the mail is safe. We get a lot of mail from the previous owners of the house and have tried to track them down without success.
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 1:33 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Legally, you need to return it all. Mark it "return to sender" and put it back in the outgoing mail.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:21 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I used to have that problem (I built my current house, so it's a brand new address that no one has ever had) and I always just wrote "return to sender, no longer at this address" and stuck it back in the mailbox for the mailperson to pick it back up. If one of the senders persisted in sending mail, even after I sent it back, after about 10-12 times, I would try to find a phone number for them (I didn't open the mail unless there was no other way) and call the sender and tell them over the phone that the person they were looking for didn't live at this address anymore. I only had to do that once, and they told me that they had never gotten back any of the mail. Not sure where it went, but they never got it.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:00 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Its a federal offense so thats why im annoymous.......but honestly I open it, read it then throw it away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• mark return to sender and put back in box. After a month of getting the same person's crap, we throw away. We even looked up his address and fwd the stuff that looked important, but it gets old. If it was really important, they would have fixed the address themselves.
    Anonymous

• I would just put on the envelopes doesn't live here anymore and then put them inside the mailbox. Then put the flag up and the mail carrier should pick them up. That's what I do. But if it's close by you then I would just walk over to their house and knock on their door and give it to them. If not home then put it inside their mailbox. That's what I do sometimes.
    snickers1201

Answer by snickers1201 at 8:30 PM on Oct. 31, 2008