WHY don't you beleive the bible..?

I want chapter and verses... so I can looke them up. Thanks

MAKEMYDAY101

Asked by MAKEMYDAY101 at 10:38 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Gosh. What a question. I've read the Bible, several times. I just don't believe it. You want specific chapters and verses? It would be so much simpler for me to just say that I don't believe any of it. I don't believe that it is "God's Word". I don't believe in the stories that are told.  I just don't believe it.

Now, what does it matter whether or not I believe it?  You are still able to believe it and teach it to your kids.  I can't take that away from you, nor would I try.  It's just not something that ever made any sense to me--not even when I was a child in Sunday School.  But. . . that's just me.  Don't let it bother you whether or not other people believe what you do.  If it makes sense to you, just don't worry about anyone else.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:52 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Why don't you believe my Book of Shadows????
    I want chapters.. verses.. so I can look them up. Thanks.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 10:44 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• It's just a book.  Nothing more, nothing less and I find the whole concept of worshipping a book ludicrous.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:29 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t172/Paddywacked/CircularReasoning-2.jpg

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:54 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Alright, let me see if I understand what you want from me... I should answer your question regarding why I do not believe in your holy book/deity using scriptures from your holy book to do so. Just so you can nit pick at my response and turn it into a personal crusade. MmmK.... Get right on that.

I've read your holy book numerous times, and you should rest assured that there is very little left to be explained, I may even be more tuned into your religion that you are. I simply can not force myself to believe in the big sky daddy. Never could, not even as a child. We're all wired differently, and some are predisposed to beliefs/delusions of a higher power, some are not. I fit into the latter category.

Your book is a book like any other. Full of interesting stories, and enough historical facts to attract the delusional masses.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:55 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I respect the bible for what it represents to its believers, just as I respect the Quran, Torah, Pearl and B.Gita. It never seemed to answer my questions or bring me the comfort I was told it brings and as I got older I could not reconcile why one Holy Book could be "the One" over some one elses book that is just is revered by its followers.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 11:08 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• By the way, your condescending attitude is appreciated a lot less than snark which holds its market value fairly well in comparison ;)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:30 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Questions is
    WHY SHOULD I BELIEVE IN IT?

I don't need to explain to anyone my reasons. It's my life not yours. I refuse to believe in something just to please others.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:46 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Because I'm not a Christian.

I respect the Bible. I view the Bible as a book that has some wonderful quidance and stories available in it.. However I do not believe it to be THE word Of God.. Or the only one.

The Bible is not different than: The Mahabhrata, The Gita (which is a section of teh Mahabhrata known as "The Song of the Lord" ), The Qu'ran, The Guru Granth Sahib, The Vedas, The Upanishads,,, ect ect.... All are wonderful texts that have beauty, quidance, and wisdom available in them. It's not the title of the book that matters in my opinion, it's what someone takes from that book that matters. What they do with it, how they use what they have learned.. Those things matter to me, not the title or branch of belief system.

Do you believe in the Gita? The Mahabratta? The Guru Granth Sahib? The Upanishads? The Law of Manu? ect.........
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:15 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Well I believe the bible is a book like any other book, but since I don't believe in god it is kind of hard to believe the bible is the word of said god that I don't believe in. There are no scriptures or verses or anything that make me not believe in it.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:49 PM on Sep. 24, 2010