do you think these books about what to expect with your child help?

soon to be a new mom and i dont have a mom in my life and only really have books to go on.....

pinkdena

Asked by pinkdena at 10:43 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• I thought they were very helpful. It would also be great if you had other moms around that you could talk to to ask questions and for help but as a general refence I thought they were great books. I agree though that every child is different. Every child has different schedules and develops at different rates so what those books give you as milestones may not be how your child is. Best of luck to you and congrats on the new baby.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 8:24 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Not at all. If you have the perfectly typical child, in a perfectly typical family, in a perfectly typical home... Sure, they could work... But every child is different, every parent is different, every family, home, town, situation... is different and those books simply don't and can't factor those differences in... I had the "What to expect when expecting" book when I was pregnant with my oldest... I don't think 10% of it was right for my pregnancy... And a good bit of the advice in it was just plain wrong...

I am more of an ignore the "expert advice" and roll with it kind of person and parent... This idea that every one is identical and going to have the exact same pregnancy and child rearing experience is just stupid!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:52 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I think if you have friends who are mothers that could be a help.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 10:46 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I don't like the "What to expect....." books. They read funny and never give a deffinite anwer.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:47 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I loved these books they helped me out alot during my pregnancy since i was a gonna be a new mom...so when the time came and the drs were using all their lingo i knew what they were talking about or what to expect next...
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 10:53 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Join a first time parent group in your area.Do'nt rely on those books only.
    ayneka

Answer by ayneka at 10:59 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I found them to be much more general to be really helpful.
    Maureenmich

Answer by Maureenmich at 11:00 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I've really enjoyed the what to expect books.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:26 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I think they are good generally especially if someone has not been around babies. But keep in mind every child is defferent and may not act exactly as those talked about it in the books. Also, be careful if reading books about sleeping and feeding too. There are so many different ideas it can truly put you on overload.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:05 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I loved the "What to Expect When Your Expecting!!!" I have the other ones as well and none of them held a light to how awesome the first one is. I've read it with each of my four pregnancies and learned something new every time. Honestly though, cafemom has been a BIG help when it came to mothering. I've learned so much through this site!
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 6:46 PM on Sep. 25, 2010