Would you move your child up a grade?

My neice got moved up to 1st grade from kindergarten today, well they decided it yesterday and today was her last day as a kindergartener and monday will be her first day as a 1st grader. She is 5.5years old. i do think she is really smart and pretty mature for her age and my sister (her mom) got moved up from 1st to 2nd grade when she was younger, but i really don't know that skipping a grade is such a good thing :-/ i think she'll be ok, at least i hope she will! i don't know how MY dd is going to take the news though, she is almost 2 years older than my niece and also in 1st grade... i haven't told her yet and don't know if i want to :P i'd just let her find out next time we visit/hear from my sister and the kids...

DreainCO

Asked by DreainCO at 11:05 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• From K to 1? Yes. IF and ONLY IF I felt she was ready. But I wouldn't move her up from 1 to 2 or anything like that... I think social bonds are important and wouldn't want my child to make friends and the me move them so they can't see those friends again.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:11 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I wouldn't. My kids are very gifted academically, and we were asked if we wanted to do this - for both of them - and we said no. My mom was started in school very early (basically moved up a grade) - she was just turned (by like a week) 4 when she started kindergarten, and she hated it. She said it wasn't so bad in elem school, but it caused problems in middle and high school.

Plus, my ds dated a girl last yr that turned 16 the spring of her Senior year (she graduated last yr). She's very smart and very mature, but at the same time, she was just turned 16 when she was graduating. She was going to go to a 4 yr college, but at the last minute she and her parents decided that she just wasn't old enough or ready enough for that, now she's living at home and going to school (not slamming on that, just that academically she was ready for something that age and maturity she wasn't ready for).

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:12 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• cont

Basically, I think that there are other ways to challenge a child academically without jumping grades to do it. There isn't a need to rush through it, kwim?
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:13 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• i agree that in elementary it probably won't cause too many problems but by middle school/high school it could... i remember my oldest sister (the one who skipped 1st) was always trying so hard to 'fit in' and to 'be the best' because she was younger then all her classmates and i really think it just made high school worse for her, she would disagree but from my 'outside' PoV i think it did. I'm just gonna try and be happy for my niece and not say anything negative cause like my mom told me when she called to tell me all this (my sister would've told me herself but i talked to my mom first) MY dd has already felt like my niece "does everything before her" and this is gonna make that jealousy/competitive thing even worse :( My dd is VERY bright also but has some speech problems and she missed the Kindergarten cut-off date by less than a month so that is why she is in 1st grade still...
    DreainCO

Comment by DreainCO (original poster) at 11:17 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• As far as your dd goes, just tell her very matter of fact that ___ is now in 1st grade. If she says anything, tell her that life isn't a competition, it's a journey. Some people choose to take the "fast lane" on the highway, and rush from one point to the other - and that's ok. But, you choose to take your time, look around, and enjoy the trip - which is ok, too!

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:27 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Yes i would. If he tested gifted. My son tends to tune out when he is bored on something in preschool. He is so much like my dh. :)
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:55 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• From K to 1st -- Yes I would care.. K is playing alot.. 1st is sitting in a desk alot.. Alot of maturity happens between K & 1st..
    Now from 1st-2nd.. Since at 1st grade you would see how well they sat for a long period of time..
    Good luck with your dd & i hope the best for the lil' girl! :)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:29 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I would never with my son, surefire disaster. but every kid is different. If she was truly bored in K and really isn't that much younger I don't an issue.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 6:28 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I taught kindergarten and first grade for thirty four years and it is never a good idea to move a 5.5 year old to first grade. Children mature at different rates socially, emotionally, physically and academically. A child may be way ahead academically, but be less mature socially and emotionally; this can negatively impact a child's entire school experience. Early Childhood teachers are skilled at working with children who have a wide range of abilities. There should be no need to move a child to the next grade. www.filedby.com/author/linda_griffin/1127154/

teacher-author

Answer by teacher-author at 8:52 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I don't think so, there's not really any need for it. If you start that kind of thing, when does it stop? If your child is that bored or you feel like he or she "isn't being challenged" then challenge them at home, and let them move along with their graduating class in school.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 11:08 AM on Sep. 25, 2010