Yom Kippure

When is it?

I got a school calender that has cards of every holiday. Im going to make a book with my daughter that explains these holidays for fun... So im researching all their dates so I know exactly when they are..

When I looked up Yom Kippure I got a few dates.
Would someone care to please explain this to me, and possibly recommend a specific day/ month I could put this on our calender for learning..
Thanks :)

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 11:05 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yom Kippour is a sacred Jewish holiday. Jewish people fast, pray, and ask God to forgive and help them atone for the sins they committed during the previous year. They go 24 hours without eating (sundown to sundown), and will not take phone calls, stay off internet, and usually do not work (although some friends in HS were allowed to attend certain auditions/ rehearsals). It happens 10 days after Rosh Shashana (Jewish new year) and the actual dates change, based on the Hebrew calender. It almost always happens in Sept. or early Oct. (Dated/ friends with a good amount of Jewish kids growing up). I would compare it to a Christian's Good Friday- somber, serious, but includes a celebration once it's over! :-)
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 12:45 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• The Jewish calendar is Lunar, so all their holidays fall on a different day each year.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:40 AM on Sep. 25, 2010