What do you expect to find on a baby shower wish list at any store?

Is it ok for the parents to ask for 4 carseats/ or kitchenwares? how about things for their bedroom and bathroom? I know a couple that just had a baby girl and the baby shower is on the 25th. The gift registary has more to do with what the parents want and not what the baby should have.
Is this type of greed acceptable? or normal? The things they want for the baby are high priced and in multiples, makes me wonder if if they have the idea of returning the goods for cash.

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 12:47 AM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Shopping

• that seems a little ridiculous to me... who needs 4 carseats?? unless they picked out 4 different carseats that they liked in hopes of getting atleast one. but stuff for themselves is silly. baby stuff related to the parents is fine, like nursing pads or something, but bedroom stuff? no.
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 12:50 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Uh no it's not. The whole point is getting things for the arrival of the baby. I don't think the baby is going to do much cooking with the kitchenwares. LOL. Maybe they got confused with a Bridal shower.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 12:50 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I agree; it is not acceptable. A Baby Shower is for the Baby. Perhaps they don't know any better; and are confusing a Bridal Shower or Housewarming? Definitely, the baby shower is for the baby!!! It certainly is not "normal" as you questioned. It does sound as though they want expensive items to return for cash. Or maybe they just didn't know how to manage their list? It's to say; but I would definitely go with traditional baby items: burping clothes, soft rattles/toys, onesies, bottles, etc. Especially if you are afraid they won't accept your gift for what it is, a gift for the baby; then don't go expensive. Their baby is a gift, not a cash cow.
    ChefMom94

Answer by ChefMom94 at 1:51 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• People are so greedy... I know my MIL was telling me she went to the daughter of a friend of hers and her registry had NOTHING under several hundred dollars on it! Seriously!? They don't live in some posh millionaire estate, this is just some girl from middle-class Ohio. My MIL was insulted and offended. I would have bought a pack of newborn diapers and called it done. (She didn't tell me what she did.)
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 10:51 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• ummm i would only buy stuff 4 the baby... they can put whatever they want on it but it does seem greedy to do. i wish i would have asked for all the different stages of car seats myself.... i think it should only have baby stuff ...period.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:44 PM on Oct. 23, 2008