Where to look for a seasonal (Christmas job)

I have applied for a seasonal job at Navy Exchange, Target, Macy's, Dillards, and Starbucks. I haven't heard from anyone. I think because on my application is Early Childhood Ed. I am a sub teacher. I'm not sure what to put on my application to make me stick out more. Yes I do have retail/cashier experience "Years" ago. On the application is ask about "recent" jobs which I mentioned early Early Childhood ED. Any suggestion what to put on applications?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Money & Work

• Kohls, Toys r us
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 11:09 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Last year I found 4 seasonal jobs (I only accepted one) on Snagajob.com

I would say try there. But most places aren't hiring for that kind of thing just yet - at least not here they aren't. Most won't hire for that til at least mid October.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:09 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Local toy stores, clothing stores, grocery stores etc..
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 11:33 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I would put where it askes if you have any skills to ad or whatever that you worked as a cashier at one point, but those jobs won't start opening up till next month sometime.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 12:01 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Try the mall. The stores in there are always hiring for seasonal help.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 9:50 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Many seasonal jobs don't start until October, so it might not be too late to call the stores and follow up on your application.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:07 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• You can apply to any of the stores at the mall. If the mall has an employment book, you can check for the stores that will be going in for Christmas, such as kiosks. They usually start setting up in early October. Also, if you look at Craigslist under the Gigs tab, check for events. You can always do some Brand Ambassador work. I have a post about that here:  Brand Ambassador

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:48 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• UPS, Fed Ex, Sur La Table, Amazon.com warehouse.....depending on where you live, these are always looking for seasonal and previous employment doesn't matter. Snagajob.com is also great. Craigslist can have good leads, but be very careful. As for what to put on your app, all I can say is never lie! I work in HR and can tell you people get fired every day when it is found out they lied on their application. Falsifying an application is not the way to start a job, even a seasonal one.
    Indyk

Answer by Indyk at 2:57 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Add skills like - good people skills, enjoy working with people, dependable, willing to work any shift.....

I wouldn't be worried yet - seasonal jobs are just starting.....
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 3:28 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I agree that most seasonal jobs aren't really being looked for this early. But certainly add that you have good customer service skills and cashing experience. Any department store or speciality store in a mall like Bath and Body Works will be hiring soon. I had a seasonal job at BBW a few years ago and I was hired the beginning of November untill mid-January after their clearance sale.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:56 PM on Sep. 25, 2010