36 weeks - hot tub

Im 36 weeks. I've been going in our hot tub almost everynight, or every-other night for the past 2 months. I've called in tella-heath and asked them if this was alright. They said as long as the water was at 120, and that I didnt stay in too long, or stay fully under for too long. -I also dont have the jetts pounding on my baby, only my legs and feet.
I just wanted to ask, if being in a hot tub will induce early labour?
With my 1st, I got to go in the hot tub at the hospital to help things along. Will me being in the hot tub at 36 weeks make me go into labour early'r then I should?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i heard that over heating the body will cause early labor and problems for the child. i was told to stay away from hottubs at all cost. even at my gym it says no children or pregnant women allowed in hot tub
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 11:08 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Wow 120? Ours doesn't go above 104! My midwife said I could get in as long as I kept it below 100. I did just that through the entire pregnancy with both kids. First was born 10 days early second was 5 days early and I spent the second labor in the hot tub at home until I felt we had to go to the hospital. First labor my water was leaking so I didn't feel comfortable being in our hot tub that we did not have prepared for that (afraid of bacteria in the water with my water leaking).
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:09 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• The commercial ones say not to get in because they are typically too high of a heat and the chemicals are higher and there is always a chance you could go into labor early or over heat and sue them so they cover their butts.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:11 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Normal community hot tub regulations are 104 but for pregnant women it is 102. If you surpass this temp your baby's body temp will also surpass it and just like a fever this can cause serious brain injury.  This is the same whether you are 12 weeks, 20 weeks, or 40 weeks.

Motherdragon

Answer by Motherdragon at 11:19 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I don't think it is a good idea to sit in a hot tub. And it is not good to start labor early. Babies need to stay put until they are ready to be born. ALSO, there is a risk of getting a vaginal infection from bacteria in the water.that would not be safe .......
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:23 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I was told no hot tubs at all while pregnant
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 11:35 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• ANY hot tub is a big no in pregnancy. The water can raise your core temp no matter how short a time you get in. This can be damaging to baby. Stop going in...I can't believe that you have never heard not to go in at all before.
    Anna-Chubaby

Answer by Anna-Chubaby at 12:46 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I've always been told to keep it under 100 degrees. Think of it this way.... If your running a fever of a 106 degrees, it's considered deadly, so why heat your body AND your baby up to anything close to that?!?! I guess in my head I always thought about it as "boiling an egg."

I've been pregnant 4 times and have been in and out of hot tubs with each and every one of my kids and had no problems as for infections and such. I think as long as you are careful and LISTEN to your body, you should be ok. As for the heat though, really watch that. You don't want to raise your core temperature more than needed because that'll raise babies too.
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 1:12 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Everything i have ever heard or read says hot tubs period are a no no in pregnancy. You get warm and your body temp rises from the inside first and can harm the baby.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:46 AM on Sep. 25, 2010