Is it me?

I have the hardest time making and keeping friends. I do smoke so most people don't want a friend that does that but I really want to make some friends. Any suggestions

hjpmommy

Asked by hjpmommy at 11:16 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• go to meetups.com and join some groups - you can go out with them, and find out who are smokers and who aren't, that should help.
    Maureenmich

Answer by Maureenmich at 11:37 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• If is it not too much trouble, I would try and not smoke around non-smoking friends especially if they have kids. I heard that secondhand smoke is worse for people than the smoking. Either that or find friends who smoke or try to stop smoking all together. There is help for stopping to smoke. I don't smoke anymore, but I didn't use any products to stop. I wasn't really that addicted, so when I decided to stop, I just stopped.
    Svetlana98usa

Answer by Svetlana98usa at 11:28 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• No I don't smoke when I'm around non smoking friends. I don't have any friends except for 1 but I see people with 3-4 close friends that they hang out with. I want that.
    hjpmommy

Comment by hjpmommy (original poster) at 11:34 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• It probably is just not easy to make friends period because most people are living their life. I would be friends with someone who smoked as long as they tried not to smoke around me and the kids. I'd probably prefer them to just come over instead if they smoke in the house a lot too. It depends.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 11:39 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• well I am a smoker, and I dont have to many people I call friends. I also have a hard time making or keeping friends I guess, people do get caught up in life and dont find time for others, I do it myself, you probably do to and just dont realize it. I cant say one TRUE friend I have that I see or talk to often, but I also have truest issues. I worry alot that people wont like me and I think that drives them away more. Could you be doing that too? Maybe you are trying to hard as well, try going to places you enjoy, meet people with common hobbies, likes. Maybe even the park with your kiddos and meet other moms. pay attention to if they are smoking or not, maybe find the ones that do if you are worried about the smoking. But I cant say that I think smoking has anything to do with this except for your occasional Im better than you people. Good luck and Hey, message me, we have some things in common!!
    MeGirl04049

Answer by MeGirl04049 at 11:52 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Do you have aquaintances? The next time you run into one you should ask them to meet up for coffee and chit-chat, but try to leave the cigs at home or out of sight if they don't smoke. Also you can ask your friend over for dinner or to meet up and ask her to bring a friend and use the old adage 'the more the merrier". Ask her friends about themselves and their interests and see if you have anything in common. If you have a young child you take to the park, say hello to one of the moms there and just strike up a conversation about the kids, weather, etc...you'd be surprised how many other moms want to make friends too. I'm pretty shy myself and it takes a while for me to come out of my shell but on the days I have made the effort it has always been worth it! When you do make friends remember to keep in contact even if it is just a quick phone call or e-mail, so they know you haven' t forgotten about them as well.
    1bizzymommy

Answer by 1bizzymommy at 11:56 PM on Sep. 24, 2010