How often do you empty your septic tank and how much does it cost you?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 11:18 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Never... If you take care of it you shouldn't have to empty it... Use ridex or a similar product, make sure your TP is septic safe and there isn't a need for that kind of thing...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:19 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• By law (at least where I live) it has to be pumped about every three years, I think it was about $75 last time we had it done.
    pegleg63

Answer by pegleg63 at 11:29 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I don't have one, thank goodness
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 12:32 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• We used to do ours once a year and it got up to about $100. We don't have one now.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:55 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• It depends on the size of the tank and the number of people in your family. The smaller the tank vs the bigger the family - the more often it needs pumping. The average is 3 years for an average tank and a family of 4 in a 2 bathroom house.
    And NEVER use Rid X - that's the worst you can do for your tank. What happens is that the GOOD ESTABLISHED ENZYMES in your tank end up competing with the enzymes from the Rid X (or similar product) and the enzymes eat each other because the old enzymes look at the new enzymes as a foreign entity and vice versa. This leaves the tank with little to no enzymes in it at all.
    Use septic friendly toilet paper such as Scott Brand standard toilet paper - Soft toilet papers are the worst for septic tanks because they don't break down as fast. And clean out costs depend on location, where you are located and size of tank.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:10 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Well, I can you tell I'm not sure we have lived here for 6 yrs now and haven't done ours and we use RidX in ours although I have heard that you can put yeast that you use for bread in your toilet and it would do the same thing. We don't use anything but Angel Soft so I'm not sure about the TP eitther. No one out here that I have ever seen has had theirs done in the 6 years either
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 11:36 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• You can spend $8 a month on Rid-X, which would be around $100 a year, for something that might work, or you can get your septic tank pumped every 2 or 3 years as is recommended, for a whopping $130, and you'll know the exact status of your system.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 PM on Sep. 25, 2010