When should the kids meet someone you're dating

I have a rule of about 6 months (because that means they'll probably be around) - does anyone have good rules of thumb? I've been divorced 6 years, and the kids have met 2 men (2+ year relationships each).

Maureenmich

Asked by Maureenmich at 11:20 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• Well, I'm married to my kid's dad, so I don't have personal experience with this kind of thing. But I would have to say the age of the kids comes in to it as well as how comfortable you are with the person. I wouldn't see an issue introducing your teens to someone even before the first date or right after... But if your kids are 5 & 6 I would say wait a bit longer... I guess it comes down to if your kids are at an age where they understand dating doesn't mean marriage or not...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:22 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I am married to the father of my baby. We got married first about 3 years ago and just had a baby this year. I agree with SabrinaMBowen that it depends on the age of the child. I would say that if the child doesn't understand about dating, I would wait until we got engaged. If the child is at the age at which he or she understands about dating and that it doesn't necessarily mean that you'll marry the guy, then I would say that it is okay to introduce the guy to the child when you feel comfortable to do so.
    Svetlana98usa

Answer by Svetlana98usa at 11:34 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• In my required class for my divorce, they said a year.
    My friend who researches everything said she'd read two years...

Maybe it varies on what "introduce" means exactly, the children's ages, how involved the other parent is, etc...
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:04 PM on Sep. 25, 2010