Basement cameras

My son is 12, and I'm thinking about getting some cameras in the basement so I can keep an eye on him and his buddies while they're down there. Does anyone have other ideas (and keeping being the cool mom) on making sure things don't go awry?

Maureenmich

Asked by Maureenmich at 11:21 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Videotaping a child other than your own without permission or knowledge is illegal in some states.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:25 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Maybe a video camera without sound, so they can still talk without feeling like they're under surveillance. And if you catch them doing something wrong, you might want to wait until his friends go home and talk to him about it, unless of course it's something illegal or dangerous?
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 11:27 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My opinion - just go check on them. You're supposed to me a mom first, not 'cool.' But maybe bring some snacks or something down as an excuse to check up on them?
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 11:28 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I'm against the idea unless you tell the child there is a camera down there. How would you feel being taped without your knowledge or permission? That's just wrong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I agree just go down and check on them. The camera is a bit much. Just lay down some ground rules.gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:06 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• that seems like overkill. Have strict rules, posted if needed and check up them randomly.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 6:55 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I agree, ur his parent not his friend. The camera is a bit much
    redrose36

Answer by redrose36 at 9:18 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Just save your money and go down there and tell what up? Are you guys staying out trouble? Big Grin

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 6:54 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Camera is too much! You need to have rules and trust our child. If you don't trust him don't let him go in the basement with friends. Be the parent!
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 7:50 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I think that if you want to keep an eye on them video survellance would work best. We have a system that monitors the outside of our home. If someone comes to the front door I can look at our monitor to see who it is and decide if I want to answer or not. You can hook up a system that does not record just shows what's happening in the area the camera is pointing to. Monitoring your kids in the basement would be no different than a security guard monitoring the building he is suppose to protect. It is just an extended set of eyes for you.  Just my opinion.

emerald53197

Answer by emerald53197 at 11:31 AM on Sep. 26, 2010