Music??

Do you think music effects you child/ren? If so, in what way? Do you control what they listen to?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I have never tried to control my ds in any way.. but he likes hard rock and other alternative music. His favorite band of all time is Rage Against the Machine. My favorite? Not really a single artist or band.. I love Techno.. 80's Freestyle.. nothing like my ds's favorite music.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 11:37 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• NO WAY PARENTS ACTIONS AFFECT CHILDREN...
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 11:40 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Feelin, that is my favorite band as well lol. That is soo funny. I love their political standings as well as their music though. Anyway, my mom never controlled what I listened to and I listened to Marilyn Manson, Rob zombie, Slipknot etc etc. My first Concert was the band KoRn. I was 14. I yes was gothy, Yes I was depressed but I was a teenage girl with dad issues growing up in a trailer park hello of course I was depressed! But it was never the music. The music is what made me feel better. Although yes it was dark and depressing, it was how I felt too and it made me feel not alone and that was good!!!!! 24 years later(in 15 mins) I am better adjusted now thanks to the music. So if my child wants to listen to Rap although I hate it I will not stop her, country etc etc whatever not going to step on her creativity,
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 11:44 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• shes only 6 so she listens to what i want!! LOL
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:51 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• delilahsmom1177 HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! and I agree with you . Music always made me feel better, not alone and strange for feeling that way. I had alcoholic parent issues, and trailer trash issues, and poor issues, but I made it and I almost think I should thank music. I loved country music and still do, but I got into def leopard, motley crew, poison, ac dc, etc. to. thanks for your opinions all
    MeGirl04049

Answer by MeGirl04049 at 11:56 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• delilah... lmao.... my first concert was Rob Base and DJ EZ Rock.. but I'm glad you identify w/my "tortured" preppy teen!
    I have no doubt you have had some rough moments.. but I bet if you knew how "oppressed" my 17 year old with a beach house in CT, who got an Audi A4 for an Xmas gift from my brother last year has "suffered: for the cause and I promise you wouldn't feel too sorry for him.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 12:01 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• MeGirl, thank you!!!!! I am glad another mom knows what I'm talking about. It wasn't just music it was a friend someone who knew what was going on without "knowing" you or you "knowing" them. I still listen to a few bands that get me choked up. A few that I refuse to listen to because it is too dark for me but got me through it when it was there. There are also a few that have new meaning now. One song Jeremy by Pearl Jam. When I was a teen it was my angry song the FTW song. It's about a young man who is tormented in school and goes to class one day and shots himself in front of the class. Now I think of my friends brother Jeremy who killed himself 6 years ago next month. I cry when I hear it for him and myself. That could have been me.I am so thankful it wasn't! Thanks to that song, and my mom lol.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 12:03 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• YES it does, it depends on what music rock makes you anxious, rap talks about sex and sex and more sex, drinking and partying( the worse when it comes to influencing) and the more kids see mommy and daddy listening to it the more they think it's okay or even normal, as parents we lead by example and if that means giving up the more mature grown up music that is inappropriate to listen to with kids then suck it up and do it it's for their benefit and will lead to less problems in their future!!!!!!

Proverbs3127

Answer by Proverbs3127 at 3:40 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• ink-freak you have got to be crazy if you think that everything you do, say, watch, listen to, doesn't affect your child. It teaches them everything, your their first teacher so do it right and research and learn what your doing to your child I hope you weren't serious cause i'm in shock if thats what you actually believe there is so much proof and examples against that statement......
    Proverbs3127

Answer by Proverbs3127 at 3:45 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Does music affect us? Yes. Does it influence us? Yes... Is it EVER an excuse for bad behavior? NO! Parents train children and influence children, music in no way is affecting them to a point where their actions or learning would be affected. Music affects us all on an emotional level, it does not however, affect us on a mental level...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:53 AM on Sep. 25, 2010