Bizarre question about breastfeeding...

Has anyone heard of a mother, who feeds her baby formula, try to go back to nursing after months of not doing it? Just wondering because I was nursing my son when my milk dwindled after taking prednizone (sp?), I tried increasing my supply to no avail. That was when he was about 2 months old. He's now almost 9months now. I'm not going to try it, but have you heard of anyone doing this?

HeatheranninSP

Asked by HeatheranninSP at 11:33 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Absoultely. You CAN do this if you want to. It will take a bit of dedication and hard work. Let me know if you'd like more specific information. Stop into the breastfeeding moms group, they have LOTS of information. The first thing you would do in an attempt to nurse, is put baby to breast. See what happens. If your baby takes the breast, and suckles, you are on the right track to nursing again. If not, there are plenty of thing you can do to encourage baby, and encourage your supply to pick up. Awesome that you are thinking of doing this! You'll need support. Get in touch with an IBCLC, and seek out your local LLL, attend their meetings.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:08 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• milk never "Dries up", you may still be producing and not even know it. The human body does not lose the ability to make milk, and even an adoptive mother can nurse.
    Google "Relactation"... Even MEN can nurse if they choose to.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:41 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• It is possible to start your milk without having a baby, but it's hard and takes a lot of work, so I'm sure it could be done if you have a 9 month old.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 11:41 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I have heard of adoptive mother taking steps to make herself lactate so she can nurse her adopted baby; so I think you could try and do the same thing!  Check out:

http://parentingsquad.com/adoption-inducing-lactation-so-that-breastfeeding-is-an-option

7blessings

Answer by 7blessings at 11:43 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• It absolutely can be done. It will be a lot of hard work, but worth it in the end. I think the biggest obstacle would be getting your son to latch on again.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 11:46 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Wet nurses have been known to go months between babies and never have an issue... I would say at least try it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:23 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Yes, but not firsthand.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 11:04 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Yes, you can, it is called relactation. There is even a group on that here on CM at:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/37539

You can even relactate or induce lactation for an adopted baby (I did!)

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:51 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I guess that it could be continue to pump and then go back that way.
    Svetlana98usa

Answer by Svetlana98usa at 12:58 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Thanks ladies! What made me think of it was one morning I woke up and discovered I leaked a little bit. (It's been 7 months since I nursed) I thought about trying to do it again, but then thought of the reality of it. Plus, he has 4 teeth now.
    HeatheranninSP

Comment by HeatheranninSP (original poster) at 12:46 PM on Sep. 26, 2010