Reasons NOT to believe vs Reasons TO believe...

I've seen a number of questions lately about "Why DON'T you believe" which got me to thinking... Why does someone need a reason NOT to believe? Why can't they simply have reasons TO believe as they do?

If someone believes in what they believe, chances are they have their reasons, they have seen proof in one form or another to make them believe as they do... Why do they need a reason NOT to believe other things? Why can't it simply be enough for them to have cause to believe something else, which simply cancels out belief in something else?

I, for example, believe in Many Gods & Goddesses, I have seen proof of this by my own standards and feel my beliefs are correct (if I didn't they wouldn't be my beliefs)... However, this belief of and in itself stops me from being able to believe in a singular God head... I don't have cause NOT to believe, I simply DO believe something else. Why isn't that enough? Why do I need more?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:33 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I have my own reasons and I certainly don't need to justify them.  I don't have any problems with my beliefs, it's other people who have the problem and that's not MY problem. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:36 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I guess my question is more isn't it enough for someone to have reason to believe as they believe? Why does someone need to have reasons NOT to believe what someone else believes? Seriously... You would have to be an expert on every religion and belief system out there in order to have reasons NOT to believe them all... Why isn't it enough to simply have your own beliefs?

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:40 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• because they feel the need to break down every reason that you do believe to try to change you
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:41 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Same with Beeky. I have my reasons and I feel I don't need to sit here and explain to people. I don't care what people think of me not believing. I don't judge the one's that believe and I ask not to be judge for not believing but for a lot of women on here it's an impossible thing to ask.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:53 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Usually if someone does not believe in something there is either a reason or it is just because. Just the same as believing in something, usually there is a reason why they believe but sometimes they just believe to believe. It could be because of their culture or lifestyle or just what they want to do. In many cases we can be forced to finding a reason as to why we believe or not believe in something and this is what many debates are based on.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 11:57 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• We all have our own beliefs. What's so wrong with this? I'll tell you what's wrong, it's when people who don't like what others believe in. But when you change things that are to your own specific belief, that means you're trying to change others opinions as well. This is what is wrong. I don't care if you're Christians, Paganists or whatever. The choice is yours, that is all that matters.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:20 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• You know the previous poster just made me think of a question lol Ill post it soonish ( I cannot believe I am posting questions these days geesh... maybe its because my time on here is short... Ill be busy starting next week.)

I chose to believe what I believe because of what was shown to me. I chose not to believe in anything outside of Christianity because of what I have seen in my own life.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:26 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Which is my point exactly Shane... Your belief in Christianity trumps (in your mind) other beliefs... So you don't need reasons NOT to believe in those things because they simply aren't a part of your beliefs... I don't see why people seem to need a reason why "non-believers" don't believe... Why isn't it enough that they simply believe in something else?

I don't understand how someone doesn't believe in a Goddess... But I understand that they don't. I don't need to understand WHY, I know I do, and they don't, and that's all that should matter... But for whatever reason it's not enough for some...

The point is ALL of us have beliefs, whether religious, spiritual, scientific or a combination... We all have our beliefs for reasons. We shouldn't need to have reasons NOT to believe something else, it should be enough that we have a different belief...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 12:35 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• To ask a non-Christian why they don't believe in Jesus, Mary, YHWH, The Bible or any number of other things which I've seen asked lately, is like a non-Christian asking why a Christian doesn't believe in Zeus or Thor or Ra... The answer is the same in EVERY case... They don't believe because it doesn't fit with what they DO believe...Reasons beyond that shouldn't be needed...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 12:39 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I always ask why! A lot of people have choose not to believe cause they have recieved altered or false information that has influenced their decision. I always work to give them a clearer understanding straight from the scriptures so that their decision is made on true facts!!!!!
    Proverbs3127

Answer by Proverbs3127 at 1:27 AM on Sep. 25, 2010