How much of a difference do you really think it would make...

If we stopped importing and created factories here and made our own products?
If you think about it how many things come from China, Taiwan, Japan etc etc. CHEAP labor! Yet we are struggling here! Here's a plan, stop importing and see how many jobs open up! I understand that cheap labor means cheap products but really if we could cut put the middle man due to importing(shipping etc) then maybe we would NEED cheap labor. IDK this was just an idea I had.

delilahsmom1177

Asked by delilahsmom1177 at 11:52 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think there would be a lot less recalls on things. If people haven't notice 90% of things recalled are made from China.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:54 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• mommy, you have a wonderful point on that as well! Thank you!!!
    delilahsmom1177

Comment by delilahsmom1177 (original poster) at 11:57 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Well, we DID but then the cheap merchandise from foreign countties such as Chna and Japan has put our own factories and stores out of business. The furniture manufacturers in North Carolina have been going out of business because stores import cheap furniture from China, for example. It is sad.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:58 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• You would think that people would get the hint that we need to concentrate on helping your own people survive and make money.. I am kind of just sick of us giving millions of dollars to this country and that country... then giving our jobs away to everyone else.. and I HATE dealing with companies like my satellite company... I want someone whose first language is english or spanish.. im JS.. it bugs the crap out of me.
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 12:02 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I believe you are onto something there. Cheap labor means less quality. We are paying less because standards are lower. If it would mean more jobs, of course that means more jobs for us and this would bring us a lower unemployment rate. If it was me, I would rather pay a little more for better quality for something that would last longer in the end. Now, only if we can get our manufacturers to think that way would mean a lot for our country. Not to mention, our economy as well.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:03 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• You would think this would not be rocket science, but evidently it is.

The US is no longer a factory friendly environment. Between the taxes, and politics, and the EPA, you could build a hundred Chinese factories for the cost of one in China. And that doesn't even begin to cover the labor differences.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:29 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Sounds simple, but it is way more complex than that. We also depend on other countries buying our goods. We have an uneven balance though. Isolationism is not the answer.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:44 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Great idea in theory. Why not start now and buyamaze in America? However, in reality ~I bet many of the moms on here couldn't afford the products if everything was made in America. Then they would be crying for cheaper products and whining how life isn't fair.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:06 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Made in. My phone spell checker is kickin my arse. Lol
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:08 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• OP, I am going to cut you some slack because you asked a very good question and you are right about part of the problem. It isn't just the middleman that is the problem though. Lovin hit the nail square on the head.

The sad thing is our govt doesn't really seem to want to help...and this is an across the board both parties complaint I have. I would love to start a line of affordable high quality childrens clothing..everything from thread to fabric to finished garment made in the US. There is no way I can compete though. Until the US becomes more business friendly and I am not talking about to the mega corporations and the people stop demanding cheap goods...the jobs won't come back.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:19 AM on Sep. 25, 2010