Do you compost?

I've been thinking of doing this and wondering if it's worth the effort. What are the pros and cons?

HeatheranninSP

Asked by HeatheranninSP at 12:26 AM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Home & Garden

• We compost and it's totally worth it. The pros are that composting cuts down on what I put in the garbage and gives me free fertilizer for my veggie/herb gardens. It's basically no work to keep a compost pile/bin, just turn it when you add stuff & make sure it stays moist. If you grow veiggies/herbs, they'll love the compost you give them and will reward you with big healthy plants & a bumper crop harvest. If you grow flowers, you'll have healthy plants & lots of blooms. Another pro is that by using compost on your gardens, you're not using harsh chemical fertilizers.

The only con I can think of is that you have to take the scraps out to the pile every day or two (or they'll attract insects & smell up your kitchen). I positioned my compost bin outside on the edge of the side patio, which is just steps from my front door and easy to get to, even in the winter months with snow on the ground.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 4:14 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• We have composted for 5 yrs at our first house and now for the past 10 yrs here at this house. We have the most rich soil back there that gets added to our gardens every spring. We compost vegetable scraps, fruit rinds and cores, lawn clippings (when we don't mulch) and clippings from landscaping bushes. NEVER do we compost meat scraps - its not good for the compost (makes it smell rotten instead of "peaty") and in our case we have dogs in the backyard, but meat scraps attract animals. For us - it is just an unused corner in our back yard against the fence that contains ours.....it isn't in a bin and we do toss it once a year. We don't water it - the rain does it. Good luck.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:24 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• We were going to compost but we have chickens now and they eat all our scraps.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 1:30 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Sort of we are just starting a compost pile but what we have done before is I just take out the scraps from eggs,celery, potatoes whatever and dump them into the garden we never put any meat things in there though
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 11:28 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• We compost as well, not only will you make free "food" for your arden but you reduce what you throw out as well. Produce, coffee grinds, paper towels, the coffee filers, egg shells, dryer lint and yard clippings go into our pile.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:59 PM on Sep. 25, 2010