When reading a response in another thread I thought of this.. Why is it that when we list religions.....

Christianity is often the first thing listed? Maybe it is just me and I just happened to notice it or it has some sort of significance! Just curious!! :-)

Shaneagle777

Asked by Shaneagle777 at 12:29 AM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Maybe because it is the most popular religion in the u.s.?
    justduckie_mom

Answer by justduckie_mom at 12:30 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Well things are listed in 2 ways.. Alphabetically/Numerically ... or Popularity

MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:45 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I think because it's assumed the majority of people are Christian...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:55 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I am thinking that mommatasha1003 is right
    LoVe4Free

Answer by LoVe4Free at 1:29 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Well the reason I asked is because I was thinking .. why not post your religion first... the one you favor the most rather than the one most popular. I post Christian first because that is what I am.
    Shaneagle777

Comment by Shaneagle777 (original poster) at 2:00 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• agrees with Sabrina
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:08 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• It could be because that's what most people encounter. You don't see Pagans going door to door to convert people or posting on billboards, etc.

That and many people are Christian. I don't think its an intentional kind of presumption that people tend to list their religion first - it would obviously be the first one they would think of. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:28 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Because humans are egocentric. If you were from another country with another religion there as mainstream, I'm betting the listing would reflect their culture and religions first.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:58 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Because it is the most wide spread.

Answer by older at 1:47 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• My thoughts.

For most Americans. Christianity is the one religion they know the most about, they have been exposed to the most, they have been involved in/with the most, and it's the religion that most of the people they know presribe to.

Before 9/11 there were many that had never heard of Muslims/Islam.. Some had heard but knew very little.

I ran into a person the other day that truly believed Karma was just a "pop culture" thing ( you know.. karma's a bitch) but had no idea that it is actually a core belief for a few different religions.. I met someone who had know Idea who the Dalai Lama is.. I've met many a person who has had no idea who/what a Sikh is..

Many people in this country really have been educated/exposed very little to any religion other than Christianity.. That is part of the problem with acceptance in this country (much less tolerance) lack of education/info exposure to other beliefs
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:56 PM on Sep. 25, 2010