Took a vacation and now my toddler is sooo clingy! Help?

A couple weeks ago, my two year old and I went to visit family on the west coast. She and I slept in the same room (her in a crib, me in a twin bed), and sometimes she'd wake up in the middle of the night and climb in bed with me. She was a bit clingy on the vacation, which is understandable (she was meeting my family for the first time).

Well, when we got home, she continued to be clingy. She wants me to hold her constantly. She grabs my legs and drags me from room to room. She whines a lot more often.

Is this normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Sep. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• She may just need a little bit of time to get readjusted to her normal schedule. Her whole world was turned upside down on vacation being in a new place and meeting new people. Just try to reassure her that things are back to normal now and give her a little bit of time to get used to being home again. I know whenever I go on vacation with my son it takes him at least a week before he his back on his normal schedule and used to be home again. Good luck I hope things get better for you soon.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 8:32 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I think it's pretty normal. You switched up her schedule and now she's a little scared because she doesn't know what to expect next. My oldest was like that. He VERY much so likes to live on a schedule and anything that messed with it would throw him off. Try to keep things as regular and predictable as possible. Most kids like knowing what's coming next.... it's kind of like the way they "control" their surroundings.
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 1:16 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• It's an adjustment, and pretty normal to have to now adjust "back". She got used to one thing, now she's got to get used to the way it was before the trip. Just return to your old routine and keep things and predictable as possible. Give an extra hug every once in a while. Don't worry, it'll be just fine.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 11:00 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I'm sure she'll realize everything is ok soon.

mp3mom

Answer by mp3mom at 9:27 PM on Sep. 25, 2010