Breastfeeding on only one side?

I just read a reply about feeding your baby on only one side for 3 hours and then switching to the other side for the next 3 hours etc., This is to ensure that your baby gets alot of the hind milk to help them gain weight. Has anyone tried this? Does it work? Just wondering...

bellasrose71008

Asked by bellasrose71008 at 2:10 AM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've done it and yes, it works! I only did one sided feeding due to overactive letdown. But mine gained like crazy.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:16 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Thanks for the answer...I am going to try it and see if she'll gain weight.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 2:45 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Doesn't it make your breasts lopsided? Not that its more important than your baby, but does it?
    smzuzu

Answer by smzuzu at 4:28 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• When my DD favored one breast the other would leak like crazy- although it does sound like a great idea for getting one totally empty! I would just have a pile of nursing pads standing by- and not plan to be out of the house for the day- lol!
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 3:52 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I have had to do that but I make it about every 2 hours. It also depends on how well he nurses. Sometimes he just wants to suckle for a min or two for comfort. But if he nurses really well on one side then the next time I will go to the other side. Yes its helps them get more hindmilk and yes it does makes your breasts lopsided but it also makes your milk supply better and they fill up pretty quickly. The more you nurse the more milk you have. Your breasts will never empty contrary to popular belief. As long as baby is nursing your body will keep making milk and putting it out even though you may feel empty. Just make sure you are drinking lots of water. I try to drink a bottle of water with every good nursing. It helps loads.
    naturalhome

Answer by naturalhome at 4:40 PM on Oct. 21, 2008