TERRIFIED of postpartum vaginal trauma :( HELP?

I'm pregnant, and very worried about my vagina. Yes. With baby #1, I was so not expecting for it to look and feel like it had been through a blender, and had no idea what to do. It didn't heal well and I was in severe pain for days. I was also (unkowingly) allergic to the dermoplast spray they gave me which didn't help matters much. I'm really worried about it this time around too. What is the best way to soothe the pain and heal the swelling and bruising as quickly as possible after I have this baby? Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 AM on Sep. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• I can offer many suggestions for keeping intact through the delivery and healing remedies for postpartum.
    Do you have info, help, support to go for the most natural birth possible?
    Message me if you want to chat more!
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:03 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• So this is baby #2? Nothing much you can do but to let it heal the way it does... I would opt out of putting anything on it, that's just asking for infection..A squeezy bottle with cold water helped me...There is a baby coming out of your vagina..how in the world would you expect that to feel?!?!

The pregnancy and birth was enough for me not to have another for a loooonnngg time if ever again.. it's just not for some people.. If you can' handle it, I would suggest not having anymore :)
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 3:06 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• yeek.
    No, actually there *are* plenty of things moms can do to better her situation (prior, during, and after delivery).
    Not too hard to do!

doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:19 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• @JuLiAnSmOmMy317 Umm, rude much? Some people have very traumatic births, which can cause more damage than others. It has nothing to do with not being able to "handle it", and it certainly isn't your place to suggest she not have any more children. How ignorant. She is also recalling her FIRST, repeat FIRST birth experience. I think we all get a little taken aback by what kind of shape we're in, completely normal and good for her for looking for advice for the next go round :)

To answer the question, I suggest getting a large gatorade bottle (sports top) and putting ice-cold ice water and a bit of witch hazel in it in place of TP, or just to soothe. The gatorade bottle doesn't have to be refilled as often as the small peri-bottle and can be refrigerated when not in use. Stay away from dermoplast. Consider Earth Mama Bottom Balm, also refrigerated. Ice packs and walking will reduce swelling. Good luck and congratulations!
    WLJ23

Answer by WLJ23 at 3:27 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• betadine its a sibling of iodine they should give u some after u have baby it eases the pain
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 10:44 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I say take doulala up on her offer and private message her. I also suggest getting a real life doula to be present with you at your birth, get one who can help you during labor to work through your fears because a fear like the one you have could inhibit labor, and also to help you with different positioning and aids to help you stretch and keep you from tearing. The perineum massage coupled with positive visualization of your vagina stretching but not tearing or hurting could also help you for the last trimester of your pregnancy. Also, I used a peri bottle (bottle of water with a squirt top) to squirt down there when I peed. I didn't tear (which I attribute to my waterbirth) but I had the "rug burn" stretched skin. I used a sitz bath to help me heal with witch hazel and an herb, I don't remember which but a quick google search told me there are a bunch of different recipes, so get a good one from doulala.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 3:03 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Oh yeah, and write clearly in your birth plan that you don't want the dermaplast stuff used! A doula will also help make sure that your birth plan is executed by reminding you and your partner to refuse your caregivers if something is going on that you've said no to, because labor and having a little one in your arms of course means you aren't paying attention to everything they might be doing. She will alert you if there is something you need to remind the staff about. So, in short, the doula will have your back while you focus on the work of labor and the wonder of meeting your newborn.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 3:06 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• And hey, looking into hypnobirthing couldn't hurt. I didn't have a hypnobirth or an orgasmic birth or a pain-free birth, but I had a calm birth in a birth center with midwives. Next time, I will definitely look more into hypnobirthing and visualization. I read a visualization book and the only thing I ended up being able to remember during labor was to imagine a place where I felt calm and centered (mine was a cabin in the woods) and to imagine a flower opening it's petals. I think you especially could benefit from some positive visualization because that fear could seriously hold you back. HUGS, so sorry you suffered with baby 1 and I hope it all goes smoothly with this baby!
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 3:09 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• get some TUCKS, they are wet pads that you line your pad with after you give birth. I repeat TUCKS. I ripped in 8 different places downt here, the moment I was done with labor and I got cleaned up I put about 4 of those round pads down there (you can buy them anywhere) and WOW no burning, no hurting, it wasn't until the 3rd day in the hospital and I ran out of them that I found out I ripped on my urithra (sp) and when I peed I screamed lol. I sent my husband out that second to get me more.

TUCKS ladies dont ever have a birth without them. They saved me.I didn't even have to use that stupid warm water spray bottle down there when I peed cause it just didn't hurt with the tucks, but change it everytime it starts to feel dry down there the TUCKS should be moist and wet makes it so nice.
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 12:57 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I second the Gatorade Bottle...the peri bottles do not last very long without needing refilled. I used Tucks, the Peri Bottle and Sitz Baths which all helped a lot. Good Luck.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 1:03 AM on Sep. 28, 2010