Need help for my friend

So my very good friend just called me today and says she just found out yesterday that she might have gotten genital herpes. She is a very responsible person so this blew my mind but I don't know what to say to her. She has gone to the doctor and got a blood test and they took a culture so she'll find out in 2-3 days for the blood test. So my question is this. What types of symptoms should she be looking for? I have no experience with any of this and I'm hoping that some very nice person can help me out so I can help her out.

faile

Asked by faile at 2:18 AM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Health

• Genital Herpes is nothing to be ashamed of. Its important to see a doctor and to inform partners. My doctor said that its basically like a cold sore in the genital area and that she has it. She takes a treatment when it becomes a sore, which clears it up, she said. I'm not sure she was using Western medicine, however, possibly homeopathic. My son got a different type of infection when he was a toddler and had chicken pox, like 18 years ago, and the herpes from a regular cold sore went through his system and he broke out all over again, poor guy. Even cold sores can be a type of herpes. I would help my friend by listening to her and her needs and reassuring her, especially about our friendship.
    -grammytothree
    grammytothree

Answer by grammytothree at 9:47 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• 1 in 4 people have genital herpes, the doctor will tell her what to look for. as a doula, i have had many clients diagnosed with it, there are some excellent new medicines out there to prevent outbreaks, not to mention natural supplements and herbs. as a friend you can be supportive and realize it's extremely common and not that "dirty" or "awful". there are all kinds of herpes strains, cold sores, chicken pox, shingles, etc. Genital herpes is simply, well, the genital type.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 10:00 AM on Oct. 21, 2008